1.

Ryujin sighed, another night out with her college friends. Another unhealthy and rather concerning amount of alcohol in her blood, clouding her judgement. Something she would likely regret once the sun was up and her head ached.

Drinking the rest of whatever was on her cup, she moved towards some girl that had been eyeing her since she walked in.

She knows it's useless. The one night stands are useless. At the end of the day, there's one person it always comes down to. But then, she's halfway across the world in some internship and according to her, she's thinking of permanently moving there.

Therefore a distraction, or two, or maybe a few more were more than justified.

What better time to have fun and do this type of thing than now anyway? She was close to graduating college and once that happened she would be working at her family's company. Then she wouldn't have the time or energy to do such thing. Plus, it would look much worse.

But for now, she was just another college student sleeping around. At least to the people in that party that had no idea who she was.

Lia would probably scold her, as she often did. But then, she isn't really doing anything wrong, is she?

"Hey."

The girl smiled, greeting her back and still looking very much interested in what she saw.

Ryujin smiled back, sighing before speaking "Look, I find you hot, you clearly like what you see. How about we skip the theatrics and just leave this party?"

The next morning went as predictable. Ryujin woke up alone, in her apartment. After having snuck out of that girl's home once she had fallen asleep. She didn't do the whole sleeping over and sharing good mornings or breakfast together.

Her headache present as it always was after a night out drinking. Taking a pill, she moved to shower as she had been far too tired and drunk to do so the night before. Then she got dressed and went out to get breakfast with her friends.

Actually, it was lunch but that's beside the point.

Lia and Chaeryeong sat opposite to her, silently judging her attire since Ryujin was clearly attempting to hide her neck despite the weather being warm and wearing sunglasses due to the sunlight bothering her.

Those two really acted like her mothers.

Conversation eventually started flowing and of course, as it often happened, Yeji became the subject.

"Yeji is coming back. Just for a week." Chaeryeong announced, eyeing her intensely. Ryujin knew she was trying to see what her reaction was so she tried to maintain a normal expression. Even if she was surprised to hear that.

"Oh cool." she muttered between bites.

Suddenly Chaeryeong slapped her arm, looking angry. "Are you serious, Shin Ryujin?"

"What did I do?" Ryujin said dramatically holding her arm.

"Are we supposed to pretend you haven't been moping around since she left?"

"Hey, Lee Chaeryeong. You better not have gone around telling Yeji that." She argued, worried that she had. After all, they were best friends. And the last thing she needed was for Yeji to think she's all gloomy after her departure.

"You should know by now I keep both of your secrets but you two enjoy testing my patience."

"I didn't even do anything." Ryujin mumbled, focusing on her food after offering an eye roll.

"You should ask her out." Lia offered, after a moment of silence.

Ryujin looked at her curiously, tilting her head slightly. "Why would I?"

"Because you like her?"

Ryujin shrugged, her eyes focused on her plate. "She's all the way in Paris and I haven't seen her in months."

"And you like her."

Another eye roll. "Again, it's been months and she's living all the way in Paris"

"Again, and you like her."

"Fine." Ryujin raised her hands, dropping them in defeat. "I'll try to spend time with her. Happy?"

Her best friend smiled widely while Chaeryeong seemed amused by it all.

They're so annoying. They knew damn well why she was hesitating.

After agreeing to become friends, they did start to get along easily. But there was always some tension between them. Almost like something prevented them to get too close or too attached. Perhaps the fact Ryujin was trying to figure out her own feelings and if she wanted to risk taking a chance. If it didn't work out, then she would just lose Yeji as a friend right after they had reconciled. Maybe Yeji felt the same way. Maybe she was also confused on what to do.

Honestly, it had been almost two years since they had got engaged after Ryujin had come back to Korea. And they were still stuck in this weird limbo.

Whenever they'd be in face to face there was this tension, like they could kiss at any given moment and nobody in the room would be shocked by it. Yet they didn't. Too frozen from doubts and fears.

So they remained friends. They spent countless hours together. Sharing meals, going out together, finding comfort in each other.

If Ryujin had a particular rough day, she would seek Yeji and the other would keep her company. And if Yeji was in a bad mood she knew to go to Ryujin.

Of course, eventually Yeji graduated and being the amazing artist and student she was, she got herself an internship. In Paris.

It had been months now and what began as daily texts, calls and constant communication had slowly faded into maybe a weekly short conversation to catch up.

The last of which ended with Yeji admitting she was thinking of living in Paris permanently. The older of them being excited about how the art studio owners loved her work ethic and were considering offering her a contract.

Ryujin put on her best fake small during the rest of that video call before it completely went away the moment the call ended. She wanted to be happy for Yeji but then, it made them and whatever they could have impossible. Didn't it?

And now Yeji was back and her friends had insisted she asked her out.

Normally she wouldn't mind that, but Ryujin would rather avoid being alone with the other until she knew Yeji's decision.

If ever they were to try and make it work between them, she wanted to do it right. She didn't want distance to come between them. Nor doubt and anything else that could ruin it.

For some reason she felt that one chance is all she would have with Yeji.

And whenever the circumstances were right, she would take that chance.

If only she could find the right moment.

When both of them knew without a doubt this is what they want, and when the world wasn't keeping them away from each other.

Maybe then they could work.

That's a whole lot of thinking for someone who claims she's not yet sure about Yeji.

Ryujin shook her head, clearing her thoughts before attempting to focus on whatever Lia was going on about. Her mind still filled with thoughts of Yeji coming back home.