Wizard (nwh spoilers)

Ned stared in horror at the sky cracking open around them, at the shadowy purple beings trying to force their way through. At the wizard stood on top of the Statue of Liberty, casting a spell that would ruin Ned's life. And he wouldn't even know it.

But Peter would. Peter would live the rest of his life in pain. Nobody would understand him. Nobody would be there for him. Nobody would listen to his scientific rambling or laugh at his flustered awe when he talked about MJ.

Peter stepped back with a tearful smile.

It would be worse for him than if they'd died. He would have to watch them grow and move on without him from a distance, unable to move on himself. He would cling onto memories that nobody else possessed, unable to forget. Spend every day wishing that somebody, anybody, could recognise him.

Wishing things could have been different.

Peter slipped his mask on, and Ned knew he had seen his best friend's face for the last time. MJ burst into soft sobs, barely able to hold them back until Peter had swung away. He would be going through enough. He didn't need to know how much they were hurting too. Not that they would be hurting for much longer.

Ned clung onto his memories. How long did he have left with them? Would he even notice when he forgot? Did he still remember?

Peter. Yes, Ned knew Peter. He looked back up at the wizard, at the purple beings and the orange spell. MJ moved away from him, clutching her broken necklace as she stared after the retreating figure of Spider-Man. At least she and Ned would still have each other. Thanks to Peter. Peter wouldn't have anyone.

He didn't want to forget.

Ned didn't want to forget Peter.

"I don't want to forget," Ned said quietly. Salty tears dripped into his mouth. He said it again, louder. "I don't want to forget!"

MJ looked over, eyes dim and tortured. Above, Dr Strange finished chanting.

"I DON'T WANT TO FORGET!" Ned yelled, voice cracking. A pulse of orange magic exploded from the wizard on the top of the monument. Everything inside of Ned rebelled and a pulse of energy emanated from him. Golden light flashed, a bright clashing of orange magics. Ned fell to his knees, heart raw and aching.

Above, the wizard was looking around in confusion. The cracks in the sky were gone. MJ wiped at her tears and looked at the smeared blood on her hands in wonder. She came over to him.

"Are you okay? How did we get here?"

Ned stared at her, mind still processing. He swallowed, hard. The pain in her eyes had faded. Retreated. Still there, but less urgent. He remembered. He could still remember Peter. His best friend. A hero. Willing to sacrifice everything just to make others happy.

"Ned? Ned!"

"I'm fine. I'm okay, MJ. I'm okay."

MJ nodded, shakily, and looked around. "I don't remember anything that just happened. I think I might have hit my head or something."

Doctor Strange floated down in front of them.

"What are you kids doing out here? This place isn't a playground, you know."

How had Ned remembered when even Strange had forgotten? It seemed so crazy, he was starting to wonder if it had all been a dream. His superhero friend; his clones from other universes.

The wizard took them both back to the mainland. Ned walked MJ home. Found his way back to his own house. The news was finally talking about something other than Peter. The whole world had forgotten.