Dr Who?

THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR NO WAY HOME. Crossover with Doctor Who.

The Doctor and Yaz were going on another adventure together whilst their other companions took a break. Hopefully this one would have fewer near-death experiences, but around the Doctor it was impossible to tell. Yaz wished she didn't find that quality so enticing.

"Tell me where we're going again?"

"Since the flux, when we exited the universe, the TARDIS has been able to pick up on several pocket dimensions. We're just going to go have a look around," the Doctor flashed a smile, and pulled a lever. The TARDIS lurched a little as it zoomed through space and time, heading - if the Doctor was right, which she (annoyingly) usually was - to an alternate reality.

"Welcome to a different dimension," the Doctor beamed and opened the door of the TARDIS. Yaz followed her out of the blue police box into what seemed like a perfectly normal alleyway in what smelt like a large city. It was dark, but the stars were the same ones she knew.

"You sure this is the right place?" Yaz joked, eyeing the graffiti on the alley walls. The Doctor span in a circle, holding out her sonic, and read off the tiny screen.

"Yep, definitely the pocket dimension. Earth, though. New York, apparently. Ooh, 2023. What happens in 2023? Right, there was that thing with the... but no, this is a different reality."

"So you have no idea what to expect?" Yaz said skeptically, but she couldn't hide her smile. The Doctor smiled brightly back.

"Not a clue. Let's explore!"

No sooner had they made it to a larger street than they heard sounds of movement from a different shadowy alleyway.

"Hello?" The Doctor called, striding right into the darkness with that brash confidence of hers. Yaz followed. "Is someone there?"

The only light was from the dim streetlamps on the main road, but there was obviously a figure hunched at the back of the alley. It straightened as it saw them. "Hi," the Doctor said again. "Hello?" She frowned at the lack of an immediate response, and pulled out her sonic. The moment she pointed the device towards the figure, it startled and jumped into the air far higher than should be possible, clinging to the wall of the alley halfway up before shooting something white and rocketing away through the air.

Yaz and the Doctor exchanged a wide-eyed glance. Whatever that had been, it wasn't human. In the brief second when it had been in the moonlight, she'd seen huge white eyes and red skin. "You did say this was Earth... right?"

"Right," the Doctor breathed, still staring after the figure. "I've never seen or even heard of a creature that looks like that."

"What do we do now?" Yaz asked. Who knew how many creatures like that there were around here? Maybe it was time to head back to their own universe. But the Doctor looked at her like she'd said something stupid.

"We follow it, of course!" And she was running. And Yaz, once again, followed.

~

Peter came to rest on top of a large building. He'd stopped in that alleyway to try to fish out a bullet from one of his encounters earlier in the night, but was interrupted. He'd been about to reply to the strange lady who was out on the crime-ridden streets of Queens in the middle of the night when she'd pulled some kind of weapon on him. It reminded him of the ones the Vulture had been dealing out - he'd have to go back and investigate once his wound had started healing itself.

He grunted a little in pain as he pulled the small piece of metal from his body and flicked it onto the ground, pushing a hand against the hole until the bleeding slowed and he felt it begin to knit closed.