Internship (3)

"Good afternoon, Ms Potts," Peter arrived at his boss's office. He was dressed in his usual black suit and sunglasses. MJ was already there - she shot him a smile - and Pepper looked up to give him a brisk nod.

"Peter, good. I have a meeting in five minutes."

He nodded and took up his post by the door. It had been almost a year, but being a personal bodyguard for THE Pepper Potts was still a huge honour, even if he'd discovered that she really didn't need protecting the same day he'd been hired. Since his stunt in the lobby, Peter had become internet famous and was trending as the mysterious 'bodyguard boy'. Somehow between the suit, sunglasses which concealed his eyes, and the slightly different way in which he styled his hair for work, nobody had figured out who Peter was.

They headed to the meeting, and MJ took a seat on Pepper's right. Peter remained standing, unnoticed in the corner. Bodyguards weren't unusual for such prosperous people, but Peter was a 'multitalented secret weapon', as Pepper liked to say. Not only could he go above and beyond the normal scope of bodyguard talent, but he also wasn't the brainless goon that the others often were.

The meeting was uneventful, but Peter had a different angle and advanced hearing so Pepper often consulted him when they were back in her office. After she'd compared notes with MJ, of course. "Reed and Bishop were whispering to each other, did you catch what they were saying?"

"They were talking about why they're choosing not to invest. They know the company is nearly bankrupt and Reed went to the site the other day. Apparently they've made no progress since they bought the place," Peter informed her.

Pepper frowned, and nodded. "A shame, their ideas definitely have potential."

"Maybe we can make a deal with them to buy the patent?" MJ suggested. Pepper agreed and started making arrangements.

"Ms Potts..."

"What is it, Peter?" Pepper paused what she was doing to give him her full attention. It had been a week since the meeting, and Pepper had just come out of a meeting where she'd refused the grant to the same company, and instead proposed to buy the patent from them for a very large sum of money.

"The businessmen didn't seem very pleased with the deal, so I just wanted to ensure they weren't planning anything, and... well, see for yourself." He turned around his laptop and pulled up the security camera for the conference room. He rewound to just after the meeting. Three men were sat around the table, talking to each other.

"We can't sell the patent, all our work will have been for nothing."

"Potts made it very clear she wasn't going to invest."

"She's offering more for the plans, though."

"But without the rights to the project the money is useless."

"I have a lady who can forge the papers for the bank transfer, but Potts won't let us get away with that."

"Unless we take her out of the equation, you mean?"

"Exactly."

"I know a guy who can help with that."

Peter stopped the recording and looked back at Pepper. "They're going to pose a threat."

"What do you suggest?" Pepper remained calm.

"I'll take time out of school, stay by your side until there's enough evidence to put them behind bars."

"Alright. I'll see to it."

Pepper took the following day off, and Peter had to go to school for one more day before Pepper could get him signed out for an 'educational trip'. Speaking of trips, their year had been invited on a tour of the R&D labs at Stark Industries.