6 | the aftermath

•° ✿ °•.

°•. ✿ .•°

THE AIR IN THE SMALL dormitory that evening was so palpable it was suffocating. Perenelle's heart beating so loudly it practically rang through her ears, while Vaudeline was silently seething across the dormitory, changing into her nightie in such haste it was a miracle she hadn't ripped the green silk fabric in two.

The twins backs were to each other- neither willing to look the other in the face, though Perenelle suspected the two's reasons were wildly different. She did her best to keep her head down as she wrestled her sleep shirt over her head- ignoring the delicately placed pearl buttons adjoining the front. Not a nightie. Possibly never a nightie again. The pure embarrassment from being caught in one sobbing throughout the corridors was too much to bear.

A muffled cough from underneath Marcie's covers revealed her attempt at faking sleep, and Perenelle couldn't blame her. If she were Marceline at this moment she too would hide from whatever happened outside of the library.

Though it seemed Vaudeline didn't share that sympathy.

"I know you're awake" She grumbled, her scowl so deep it looked almost unnatural against her features, and Marceline stirred, faking a yawn as she sat up and faced the pair of them.

"So" She eased, "Are we going to discuss whatever that was? Or?"

Vaudeline didn't give an answer, instead flinging her uniform to the floor, stomping towards their lavatory and slamming the door behind her.

Pera flinched at the sound, while Marcie went wide eyed.

"Or we can do that"

Perenelle took a deep breath, bringing her hands up to rub at her temples- and Marceline immediately sprung from her bed in concern, taking Pera's hands in hers.

"Hey- you can talk to me, honestly Per" She said, "I know you lied earlier- and if you don't want to talk about it I won't pry again, I'm just- I'm worried about you"

She let go of Perenelle, and snuck a quick glance to the toilets, before running a hand through her hair.

"Vaud is Vaud- she won't talk, she'll just be snippy and quiet until she inevitably blows up like she did earlier, but Pera I can tell whatever it is is bloody killing you"

Perenelle sniffled as she nodded in response, wiping a stray tear from the corner of her eye, and Marcie brought her in for a hug, rubbing her back.

"You don't have to tell me everything, but anything you want to say- you know I'll listen" And she let go of her, grabbing her hands and somehow bringing Perenelle back down to reality.

Perenelle wasn't sure if she could truly tell Marceline everything. At least- not about Andromeda. While Marcie tended to go with the flow and be far more adventurous than many pureblood standards allowed- of course, no where near the level of Sirius, the topic of banishment and blood treachery was not a simple one to tread.

"It's so sodding stupid" Perenelle sniffed, a light chuckle escaping her as she wiped the last tears from her eyes, Marcie beaming at the change in attitude.