18 | sister dearest

•° ✿ °•.

°•. ✿ .•°

THE LAST THING PERENELLE expected when she stepped into her dormitory at half past twelve was for her sister to be awake. Let alone waiting for her. Though Vaudeline sat on her bed— knees tucked beneath her chin, face red and splotchy.

Marcie was on her own bed, eyeing Vaudeline nervously, and neither said a word in the first moment Pera had entered the room.

She swallowed nervously, crossing the room to her own bed and removing her cloak, hanging it on the hook next to her nightstand.

"Where'd you go?"

It was Marceline who had asked, though Vaud eyed Pera as she went to answer,

"For a walk— I didn't realize how late it had gotten"

"Why didn't you tell me you felt that way?" Vaudeline asked, and Perenelle felt frozen to the ground. She didn't turn around, still sorting out her pyjamas on her bed. She could feel her sisters steely eyes burning holes into her back.

"I don't know Vaud" She replied softly. She did know. Vaudeline might have known too. Perenelle didn't want to say it out loud. How was she supposed to look her sister in the eye and tell her that she was constantly unsure if she could trust her?

"..I'm gonna leave you two alone" Marcie said, and neither twin stopped her. She climbed out of her bed and left the dormitory.

"Could you really not trust me Per?" Vaudeline sniffled, and Perenelle was incredibly unsure of what to do. It was strange seeing Vaud emotional— she never was. Perenelle hadn't seen her sister cry since the summer after their first year.

"It's not like we ever talk about her" Perenelle said. She was sitting on her bed now, arms crossed as she faced her sister.

Perenelle regretted saying it the second it left her mouth— as it made no sense. Sure, they didn't talk about her. Perenelle still missed her— so who was to say that Vaudeline didn't as well? Though to be fair Vaudeline had always demonstrated the prim and proper expectations of their upbringing.

It made her feel incredibly foolish— though that quickly morphed to guilt. She didn't know how to feel at the moment, maybe it had to do with the fire whiskey soda's.

"Are you drunk?" Vaudeline asked, an edge to her voice that frightened Perenelle, "you reek Per.. did you seriously go an—"

"—what's it matter if I did?" She cut Vaudeline off, rubbing at her temples, "I am so tired of all the judgemental bullshit from everyone Vaud, it's bloody exhausting!"

"Yeah you're exhausted" Vaudeline snapped, pulling her covers over herself, and Perenelle let out a huff! "Well what's that supposed to mean?"

Perenelle was breathing heavily, her eyes in slits as she stared at her sister, awaiting whatever snippy response she knew was coming.

Though it didn't come— and Perenelle couldn't help but let out a dry laugh.

"Yeah— okay Vaud, say whatever you want" She shook her head, "This is exactly what Sirius was talking about"