19 | snakes and lions

•° ✿ °•.

°•. ✿ .•°

"MARCIE PLEASE" Perenelle whispered, steadying the telescope before Marceline tipped it over.

"Sorry, I'm so bloody confused here— what am I supposed to be looking at?" the brunette asked, stepping away from the instrument and allowing Perenelle to take her place, a sniggering Antonin to their left, leaning against the astronomy tower window from which they were observing the star-speckled sky.

"We are meant to be measuring the distance between Capella and Pollux, but Antonin looks like he'd rather die and you are about to give me a bleeding heart attack"

"I'm joining Toni on this one— you turn scary when you micro manage Per" And she joined a laughing Antonin against the stone wall, sliding down until she reached the floor and leaned her head against Antonin's leg. He attempted to shrug her off, but a quick pinch to the back of his knee sent him yelping away from her and over to the telescope.

"Alright let's see here.." He muttered, squinting as he attempted to focus, "Yeah, nothing— still don't know how you talked me into taking this bloody class"

"Because you love spending time with me, obviously" Perenelle scoffed, before quickly scribbling the answer onto their worksheet, "Whatever, I figured it out so it doesn't matte—"

She was cut off by Professor Slink's scratchy voice announcing class was over for the night, and the trio made their way for the door; where their professor was stood awaiting each group's parchment.

"You're a freak of nature at bloody astronomy Per" Marcie shook her head, while Antonin nodded his in agreement, "it's no fair— your family names their kids after this shite, you've got some inherited advantage we don't"

"I dunno" She shrugged, handing Professor Slink their parchment and following the two towards the stairs, "I think I just pay attention more than you two do, it helps that I actually enjoy the subject.."

Marcie's insinuation didn't really work considering her name was a Rosier tradition from her mother, though Perenelle suspected that even if she told her friend that, Marcie wouldn't hear it— and would still insist she was not at fault for her barely passing grade.

Regardless, Pera didn't have time to refute any of Marceline's astronomy-related conspiracies,

"You guys go ahead, I have to speak to Slink about what I missed last week"

It was a lie. A big fat one actually— as their professor had allowed Perenelle to not make up that weeks assignment due to her perfect grade in the class. Though it was the best lie to get the pair of them to return to the common room without her so late in the evening.

She watched as they disappeared around the corner of the winding staircase and waited an extra minute for good measure, before bounding down the steep steps and heading in the opposite direction.

"Y'know Black, Gid and I here were beginning to think you stood us up" Fabian stood, back against the stone wall outside the kitchens, arms crossed as he slowly shook his head.

Gideon was next to him— shaking his head in a manner eerily identical to his twin,

"I told him you wouldn't Nell— old friend honour and all that shite, don't you worry your pretty little head"