12 | a silent detention

•° ✿ °•.

°•. ✿ .•°

"WHY ON EARTH are you waking me?" She asked, her heart racing and her body numb as the effects of sleep fully washed off of her, and Perenelle was suddenly awake.

The curtains were billowing, casting shadows across the room as the cool night breeze traipsed into Perenelle's bedroom through her open window, and she was suddenly aware of her sisters face over her's— and the sound of yelling downstairs.

"Is— did someone break in? Through the barriers? Vaudeline ce qui se passé?" She mumbled, lazily slipping into French and tossing her duvet off of her, as Vaudeline had still yet to speak— instead resorting to flinching every time the voices downstairs raised an octave.

"He's done it" Vaudeline whispered, a look of disbelief clear on her face— reflecting from the moonlight pouring in through the window,

"What? Whose done what?"

"Sirius, Perenelle he's gone"

Only he wasn't gone— not physically, as Sirius was directly in front of her, seated at a desk at the back of the classroom. Not in the middle, not like last time, if anything Sirius didn't seem anything like the last detention; merely a shell of the normally loud and rambunctious Sirius she was accustomed to.

He was gone though— in nearly every way that mattered.

"Miss Black? You may take a seat please"

Professor McGonagall's voice brought her back to the land of the living— and her eyes tore away from the back of Sirius' head, he was like a ghost, really... though she quickly caught her sister's eye and shuffled into the seat next to hers, warmly welcoming Vaudeline's hand in her own.

Regulus sat across the room from them again, his head was down, and his fists were clenched against the wooden desk, as though merely the smallest thing may set him off and send him running, like their last detention. Perenelle sorely hoped her younger cousin would not dream of repeating his anger-fuelled dash from the room. She didn't know if she could take another detention.

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat, staring at the four of them from her desk, and raised an eyebrow— as though begging someone, anyone, to begin.

Though no one did. Not even Sirius— who last time had simply been itching to list out his many woes and grievances, he now mirrored his brother, which if Perenelle thought about hard enough was quite ironic... as seconds later the tables had turned. Sirius sat— brooding, eyes glued to the desk, while timid Regulus was staring at his older brother in curiosity.

He of course did not know the reason for the damp mood that had sunk its teeth into his family members.

An uncomfortable silence filled the room, and yet no one moved to speak, not even McGonagall.

The day Sirius officially left the Black family was not one that Perenelle thought of often, of course it hadn't even been a year since it had passed, though at least during Sirius' escape to so called freedom he hadn't stunned her and left her frozen on the ground.

That wasn't to say his departure wasn't equally as dramatic— he wouldn't be a Black if it wasn't (no matter how much he alienated himself from the family he was born to...) it was just that this time around, Perenelle wasn't the scorned younger sibling with a front row seat to the show.