Birthday Girl

Author's note: That is the one and only... sexy Blake 💘 I hope you enjoy the video Desire from Lana del Rey. 💃

Chapter 31

Amber

My mother entered my bedroom with a huge grin on her face.

"Hey! Happy birthday, sweetie!"

What...

It took me a couple of seconds to remember. Holy crap. I forgot.

Today was the beginning of winter break. I had no school for two weeks. And today was also my 19th birthday.

She gave me a huge hug, squeezing me to death. I could barely breath from how hard she hugged.

"You're growing up so fast, Amber," she whispered. "I miss you already."

I could hear the shakiness and sadness in her voice. What she said was true. Time did pass by fast—I think faster than what we expected. I had lost my dad already. I wouldn't know how to deal with losing my mother. She was the only one I had right now. I hugged her tighter.

"I miss you more, mom."

"How does it feel to be 19?"

"Good. I feel good."

My eyes turned watery as I remembered my childhood memories. It felt like just yesterday when I was a little girl running and jumping around in the playground—not worried about anything because I was too young. But here I was now—in my room—all grown up—finally 19 years old. It was a big step for me, considering that I was an adult now—a young adult.

My mother broke off the hug and gave me a warm smile as she wiped a tear from her face.

"I'll be right back."

She turned around and left my bedroom. When she came back, she carried two elegant boxes. One box was white with black lace and the other one was red with white lace.

"These are for you, honey."

"Wow. Thank you."

"Oh, no. These boxes are not from me."

She smiled and placed them on my bed.

I frowned. "Who are they from then?"

She threw me a lavish grin. "You have to open them to find out. Come down when you're finished."

I grinned back. "Okay."

She walked away and closed the door behind her.

Who could possibly give me these gifts so early in the morning? I thought I never told anyone about my birthday. I walked over to untie the white box. As I removed the cover, I peeked inside—and my breath hitched.

Laying inside the box was 19 different types of colorful flowers in the shape of a beautiful heart—and in the middle was a flawless, white envelope.

"Wow," I breathed.

I loved flowers and I loved how they decorated this. A joy of happiness flowed through me as I grabbed the envelope and opened it.

To my favorite girl in the world,

Be ready @ 8 p.m. Harold will do the honors & pick you up.

Love,

Garnald

Oh my God! Garnald!

How did he know my birthday was today? Oh God. My mother must've told him. I happily placed the envelope back inside the white box and started untying the red box. My jaw dropped when I laid eyes on a luxurious, red dress, fancy, white heels, and elegant jewelry to match it all.