Spin the bottle

Author's Note: Heather for you 💁

Chapter 9

Amber

I was in the kitchen, washing the dishes as my mother got ready for work. Saturday night had arrived quicker than expected and Angelica's little get together was getting closer and closer. I wondered who would be there. I know Kim and Reece would. Maybe Jayko and the guys as well. And probably a few others that I didn't even know yet. I had told Donny yesterday about Angelica's mini get together and he agreed to go with me. He also dropped by last night to hand me my dad's clothes which I was grateful for and I had handed him back his cleaned cop uniform. We hadn't talked that much yesterday because my mother had that day off and I didn't want to risk her catching him in my bedroom.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. And I knew it was him.

"I'll get it."

I dried up the last plate with a cloth and placed it back where it belonged before opening the front door.

"Hey," Donny greeted, smiling with his eyes.

He looked edible in a long-sleeve, black crew neck, dark blue jeans, and black boots. My delightful grin reached my ears.

"Hey."

I closed the door when he stepped inside. The night air was pretty chilly and drafts of it shivered my bones.

"Oh, hello, Donny. What brings you here?" my mother asked as she walked downstairs.

She was dressed for work as she grabbed her purse from the sofa. She glanced at the two of us for an explanation, but her eyes mostly focused on mine.

"He forgot his—" I paused and my heart raced as I tried to come up with a lie.

"I forgot my textbook in class and I asked to borrow Amber's," Donny answered.

My mother smiled and grabbed her keys from the key hook.

"Very well then," she cooed. "I'm heading off to work now so make sure you lock the door."

"Got it." I smiled.

She paused at the door and turned to us again. "And don't forget to lock the door on his way out, too."

There was a familiar, strict gleam in her brown eyes as she glanced at my face—as if she knew we were lying, but had decided to let it pass.

My cheeks reddened.

"I won't forget," I said.

She said her goodbye and disappeared out of the front porch. Once she was gone, I locked the door and turned to Donny.

He was biting his lower lip, repressing an endless smile.

A burst of giggles escaped my throat. "I know. I'm such a horrible liar."

He broke into sexy laughter as he hunkered down on the sofa. His legs were wide open. His body relaxed on the leather. He rested his head all the way back, too, letting it sink in on the material.

When our laughter died down, I asked, "Do you want anything to eat?"

He shook his head and gazed at me. And my heart accelerated on overdrive. He looked too hot to be in my house—too alluring and oh so mesmerizing...

"Drink?"

He shook his head again, a bit of a smile tracing his lips. I smiled back and sat beside him with one leg folded and the other leg dangling over the edge as I faced him. He angled his head a little to look at me.