Death

Author's Note: She looks like the creepy old lady 👌

Chapter 8

Amber

"What was that?"

My heart galloped at the many possibilities—they were endless...

A line appeared between his brows as he stuck his head outside of my window. I couldn't see anything through the glass—the night was too dark. And the strange howl had completely stopped. If I wasn't mistaking, it was the same howl I heard in the night when I had moved here.

Talk about strange... Was there wolves in the forest? What the hell was out there?

Donny lowered his head back in.

"Let me find out," he said.

He swung his leg over the window ready to leave, but my hand grabbed his wrist.

"You don't know what's out there," I warned. "It could be dangerous."

A slow smirk grew on his lips.

"Dangerous is my middle name."

"Then I'm coming with you."

"I cant risk it," he admitted. "I'll be back."

He ducked his head and stepped out of my bedroom. I watched him disappear in the pool of darkness as he climbed down the tree.

I wanted to go with him. I really wanted to just to make sure he was safe. I had this urge in me to go follow him. What if he wasn't safe and needed me? What if a wolf attacked him? I couldn't just sit around here doing nothing.

I had to do something.

I climbed out of the window and slowly inched across the long, thick branch. The darkness and cool air swarmed, engulfing me into the unknown.

My heart clenched against my chest as I tried not to look down because if I did I might loose my balance and fall.

Oh my God.

Don't look down, Amber. Don't look down.

It became a nervous chant in my head as I climbed down the tree, stepping on branch after branch. I knew this was beyond reckless, but I couldn't contain myself. I had to find out what that was and help him if anything. I landed on the grass and followed the way I think he went. I jogged behind the houses, but couldn't see him anywhere.

Where did he go? Did he go back to my house?

Giving up, I walked to the front of the houses and on the sidewalk. Not many trick or treaters walked in our neighborhood—only a couple of kids. What happened to those prankster kids that splashed us with water? Were they still hiding? Little brats.

"Meow."

On top of a thin branch, a fluffy, white kitten cried and pleaded. I stopped walking.

"Hey, cutie. What are you doing up there?"

"Meow."

"Come down, beautiful," I said, making kissing sounds.

This time the kitten hissed. Her white hairs puffed up as she stared behind me with threatening, dilated eyes.

I spun around.

Aiden was standing a few feet behind me, staring up at the kitten.

My breath hiked as his warm eyes settled on mine. He looked distracted by something, but I couldn't figure out what it was.