The Carnival

Author's Note: This is the carnival that they go too. 👌 I couldn't get one with a huge roller coaster ride, but you could use your imagination :-)

Chapter 29

Amber

I brought Marky to my bedroom and we sat on my bed. The lamplight was turned on.

"Pretty cool room," he commented with a buoyant smile.

I giggled, thanking him. He glanced around with a smile still on his face. "I like the bean bags."

I giggled louder. "Me too."

When his dark brown eyes met mine, my giggling stopped. I remembered why I brought him here.

"Hey, did anything happen between us? I kind of forgot about a lot of things when I acted wild."

His cheeks flushed a slight shade of pink. There was hesitation as he answered me with a "Yeah."

Oh God.

"You know what? I'd rather not know about it.

I apologize if I did anything to offend you."

"Actually, it was the opposite," he admitted, admiring my eyes. "We had a good time together."

Another, oh God.

Hopefully, I just kissed him and that's it, but when Kim told me how I was acting, I'm not quite sure if we only kissed.

I gulped nervously.

"Marky, you know I care about you, but we are only friends and whatever happened is in the past," I said carefully, delicately. "I hope you could forgive me."

He lowered his eyes and nodded. Seconds later, with his head still down, the corners of his mouth quirked up.

"I kinda miss the wild Amber."

"Really?"

He lifted his head and my eyes found his. The way his eyes twinkled made me wonder. Did I actually like him when I was acting crazy?

"Yeah. She was—"

His voice trailed off as he glanced at his vibrating cell phone.

"Amber, I'm sorry," he said, grabbing his phone. "I have to take this."

I kindly gestured for him to. "No, go ahead."

"Thanks."

He answered the call and pressed his phone against his ear.

"I'm at a friend's house. Mhm. All right. See ya."

He hung up and looked at me.

"It looks like I have to go," he said. "There's a football reunion tonight."

"Oh, okay."

"Yeah."

He rose from my bed and gave me a boyish smile.

"I guess I'll see you in class."

I smiled back. "I guess so."

He turned to leave.

"Wait."

He turned around when he reached the doorway. "Yeah?"

"She was what? You didn't finish telling me."

His lips grew into a slow, promising smirk. "Different," he answered softly. "She was different."

I blushed.