Chapter One

Why me? I thought as my mother took off her belt and hit me on the hand and hit me across the face. "Stop mom! Stop" I sobbed as I looked in my mother's depressed angry eyes. "You can't tell me what to do Maddie." My mother then slapped me across the face and said "Go to your room! And never come down again!" I bolted for the stairs and ran into my room. I went over to my desk and grabbed my phone to call my best friend, Emily. "Hey, Maddie." She must have heard my sobs. "What's wrong?" I tried to say something but nothing came out. "Maddie what's wrong!" Emily yelled. "Can I come over for the night?" I could hear Emily yell down to her parents. "Yeah, you can come over." I heard my mother stomp up the stairs. "Thanks, Emily. I'll tell you everything when I get there." Then I hung up. I got up took my jacket, backpack, and some clothes. I ran down the stairs and bumped into my mother's shoulder and she yelled something at me but I was already outside of my house. But somehow I knew that would be the last time I would hear my mother.

When I got to Emily's house she ran out and hugged me. "What happened this time?" Emily asked concerned. "I'll tell you when we get to your room." Emily brought me inside and her parents were sitting in the living room but, they didn't ask because they knew about my mother so they didn't ask why I was over. We got up stairs and saw her older brother, Michael. "Hey Maddie." He said. I didn't look up so I just waved. Emily brought me into her room and she said "Take the damn hood off Maddie." I couldn't meet her eyes. "But Emily its worse this time." In one quick movement she ripped off my hood. "Oh, Maddie." She hugged me. I then realized I was crying. "Emily I never want to go back there. She hates me." Emily hugged me tighter. "I'm so sorry. Do you need anything?" I shook my head. "Lift your head for me." She said. I lifted my bruised and scared face. "Let me get you some ice." I nodded. Emily got up and walked into the hall. Then her brother came in. He saw my bruises and he unexpectedly hugged me. Then he whispered in my ear "What happens to you at your house?" I whispered back "My mother." Then Emily came back and Michael left. Emily handed me the ice. "Anything else?" Emily asked. I nodded. "Can you come back to my house with me? I need some more clothes." Emily looked at me, "I'll do anything for my best friend."

We got to my house and as usual the door was unlocked. "Mom!" I yelled. No answer. I walked up the stairs with Emily right behind me. "Maddie what is that?" Emily asked pointing to the wall. It was blood. I ran into my mother's room. I screamed. "Maddie!" Emily yelled as she ran into the room. "Oh, my God." She said. My mother had finally done it. She killed herself. My mother lied on the bed in a pool of blood.