Chapter Five

"What was that all about?" Ashton asked as we drove away from the house. "Oh don't mind my foster mom. She's just mad because yesterday and today we got into big fights. That's all." I said. "Your foster mom? You're an orphan?" he said confused. Damn it. Why tell the cutest boy who ever talked to you tell him you have foster parents? I thought to myself. "Well, I totally understand if you don't want to go out with an orphan." I said. Ashton reached his hand over to touch mine. "I don't care if you're an orphan. And that doesn't change my mind about you Maddie." He said as we pulled up to his house. "Thanks Ash." I said to him.

Ashton brought me into his house which was much better looking than the two houses I live in. "Ash I think you need to know something." I said walking over to the couch. Ashton followed. "And that would be." He said. "How I got into that stupid foster home." I said putting my head on his shoulder. He nodded. "Well my family was I guess you could say complete for 14 years before my father left. The last time I saw my father was 2 years ago after he told my mother he was going to get something at the store. Well as those 2 years go by my mother kept getting more and more depressed, abusive, and suicidal. Once my mother knew my father wasn't coming back she started abusing me." I pointed to the scar across my cheek and under my eye. "She gave me these about 5 months ago. She had taken a small pocket knife my father had given me and cut me in my sleep." Then I pointed to my elbow. "I got this one two weeks ago. She did this one with a frigging rope and tied it around my arm then tried to get it untied by pulling as hard as she could. Then the bruises are all from either a few days ago or a week ago. But yesterday my mother had finally done it. Killed herself. That's really it Ashton." I said. I lifted my head up from his shoulder and kissed his cheek. He was crying. I thought. He reached his hand out and touched my cheek with the scar. "How could she do this to you?" he asked. I took his hand and said in almost a whisper "I don't know." We sat there together for about an hour until my phone rang. It was Luke. How did he get my number? I thought. "Who is it Maddie?" Ashton asked. "No one Ashton." I said declining Luke's call. "So, babe where would you like to go for dinner?" he asked. I thought. "It doesn't matter to me, Ash." He looked at me "I'll surprise you." He stood up and gave me his hand. "I have to get something upstairs. I'll be right back."

*Ashton's P.O.V.*

Will she say yes? I thought. Does she even like me? I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a box that inside was a necklace with the letter 'A'. I took a deep breath and tried not to be nervous around this really hot girl. I walked out of my room and into the hallway. As I walked downstairs dread came upon me with that terrible thought, Will she say yes?

*Maddie's P.O.V.*

I stood there waiting for Ashton. What is he getting up there? I thought. Then he came down the stairs looking as nervous as me. "Ready Maddie?" he asked. "Yeah Ash." I said as he put his arm around me. As we walked to the door I asked him "What did you need to get upstairs?" He looked over to me. "Oh, couldn't find it." He said as though he was hiding something from me. "Oh, well that sucks Ash." I said. "Yeah." He said opening the car door for me.

We had gotten to this fancy restaurant that was called Aime-Moi. I looked at the sign and asked "What does Aime-Moi mean Ash?" He didn't answer. "Bonjour." Said the hostess. "Hello table for two, please." Ashton said like he was some fancy person or something. "Right this way sir and Madame." the hostess said as she brought us to our table. "Thank you very much." Ashton said. We both looked at the menus for a while. After we both decided what we wanted the sever came over took our orders and walked away again. "So Ash," I started to say when Ashton interrupted me. "I love the nickname you gave me Maddie." He said. "Well Ash my real name is Madison. But I like Maddie much better." I said. He smiled. I sound like an idiot in front of this really cute boy. I thought to myself. I looked back at Ashton and he was pulling something from his pocket. "Close your eyes Maddie." He said. I closed them. What could he be taking out? I thought to myself. "Okay Maddie open your eyes." He said taking my hand. "Well I know this is our first time out together. But I have been saving this for the perfect person. I would like to ask you this..." He paused. "Will you Aime-Moi, love me?" he opened a small box that had a tiny diamond necklace with an 'A' on it. I felt like I was about to cry so I covered my mouth and gasped. "Ashton." I said. "I know too soon right. You don't have to say..." I put my index finger on his lips and said "Yes."