Chapter Three

When the social worker dropped me off at the foster home there were 3 boys and two girls and a middle-aged couple. As I walked up the path to the family the youngest of the girls screeched when she saw the bruises and scars on my face. "What has happened to you?" asked the woman. "My mother." I said. Then I followed them in. "Jamie will you show...what's your name dear?" asked the woman. "My name is Maddie." I said. "Jamie take Maddie up to her room please." The little boy named Jamie nodded and skipped up the stairs. I followed. He brought me to a room at the end of the hall. "Thank you." I said, but the said nothing back he just ran back downstairs.

I started to unpack my bag when someone banged on my door. "What?" I said. "There's someone here for you, Maddie." A soft voice said. I turned it was the youngest of the girls. "Thank you. What's your name?" She looked down at her feet and said "Madison." I looked over at her and asked "Can you tell the person who wants to talk with me if they could hold on for a minute?" She nodded. As I finished putting my clothes away, I thought about my mom. I tried to remember the good times we had together. I thought about that time my mother and father brought me to this beach that my father's mother brought him to. But that was two years ago the last time I saw my father. Then someone banged on my door. "What!" I yelled. "Well hello to you too, Maddie." I looked up and it was Michael. "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Well Emily told us about your mother. So I thought should come and see you." He said. "Oh, thanks Michael. But how did you know I was here?" I asked. "Emily looked the foster home on the computer and told me." He said. He then came over and again hugged me unexpectedly and again he whispered in my ear "I'm sorry." Then he left with no goodbye.

After Michael left the oldest of the boys came in and said "Who was that your boyfriend?" I rolled my eyes. "No he's my friend's older brother." I said to him. "What's your name?" He looked at me and said "Luke. Well "mom" wants you to come down for dinner." I nodded. "Be down in a minute, Luke." Luke then left the room. I looked at my phone and there were about 15 text messages from my friends. I read one that was from my friend Alex. It said: 'Hey Maddie. Emily told me about your mom. I'm so sorry. I know what you have been through my mom's friend's daughter went through the same exact thing. Just remember that we all love you.' The rest of them said the same thing. Then I heard someone yell up to me "Get down here now or no dinner!" Now I knew the torture would begin.

"Now let me introduce you to everyone Maddie." Said my foster mom. "Well you have meet these three already. Luke, Jamie, and Madison." All three of them waved and smiled. "These two are the twins. This is Maggie and this is Ricky." They both smiled. I sat there silent as the rest of the family talked. As they talked I was wondering about how all my friends knew about my mother being dead and all. "Maddie." I heard someone say. "What? Sorry was thinking about...oh never mind." Everyone at the table stared at me then my "mom" said "Why doesn't everyone go in the living room and pick out a good movie." Madison came over and begged "Mommy can you help us pick out the movie?" She nodded her head "In a minute. I just need to talk to Maddie." I sat there staring at her thinking: What did she need to talk about? "Well Maddie I have two rules for this house. One, you don't speak of your parents' death. Two no telling the other children about their families. The only other person that has seen someone dead or killed is Luke. The others haven't." she said. "Don't the others have a right to about their parents?" I said angrily. "No they do not Maddie. They all think they are coming back to get them." She said trying to sound calm. "Why are you putting that crap in their heads? Their parents aren't coming back!" I yelled. I felt as though I was talking to my mother when she told me my father had gone to the store for us but never came back. "You're exactly like my mother when she told me about my father leaving us. She put the exact same crap in head too. Telling me 'Oh, he's just at the store.' Yeah well he was at the store for two frigging years!" I yelled even louder. I ran out of the kitchen and Luke grabbed my arm. "Maddie don't." he said. "Get your hands off me!" I screamed. Then I ran out of the house. I heard Luke yell "Maddie!" But I kept running down the street until I couldn't see that house.