Chapter Two

I then looked over to the nightstand, on the nightstand there was a note that read:

'To my Maddie,

I'm sorry for all I did. Please forgive me. If you ever thought I didn't hate myself after I hurt you...I did. But you never gave me the chance to apologize. I did love you, Maddie. Goodbye...forever.

Love, Mom'

"Emily get me the phone." She ran to the phone. "Here." She said. I dialed 911. Hello what's your emergency? The dissipater said. "Hello, I just got home and my mother has committed suicide." I could hear the dissipater yell to someone. How old you sweetie? The lady asked. "17" I said. The lady gasped and I thought I heard the lady crying. Then she said Help is on the way sweetie. God bless you.

I walked into my room and grabbed my suitcase from under my bed. "Maddie." Emily said. I nodded. "Why would your mother kill herself?" I stopped packing and walked over to my bed and sat down. "She was depressed ever since my father left. She always told me how she wish she could die and she once..." I was cut off by pounding on the door. I ran down the stairs and opened the door. There were about 3 police cars, 2 fire engines, and an ambulance. "Young ladies, where is the body?" I walked up the stairs and said "This way." I lead them too my mother's room. Then they told us to the leave the room. Emily looked at me and said "I can't believe this happened." I nodded and walked back to my room. "I didn't finish why she wanted to kill herself." Emily nodded and sat on the bed with me. "Well she came into my room while I was asleep and gave me this." I held out my left arm and pointed to the scar below my elbow. "She took a rope from something and took my arm and tied it below my elbow. Then she pulled it as hard as she could until it untied and I woke up the next morning with a bloody bed sheet and arm. But my mother told me she was trying to find a way to kill herself.' Emily wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry. Let me help you finish packing."

We finished packing in about an hour. Then we went outside and saw a mob of people from my street. One lady from the ambulance brought me over and cleaned some of the cuts on my arm. After a man in a suit came over and said "Hello, I'm your social worker James Johnson. I have found the perfect foster home for you about two miles from here." I looked at him and said "Let me walk my friend home and then you can take me to this foster home." Mr. Johnson nodded.

As I walked with Emily we were both silent and stunned from what happened. "Emily." I said. She nodded. "I'm sorry you had to see my mother dead and everything that happened today." Emily looked at me and said "It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself for you mother's actions." I nodded. "Well here we are." Emily hugged me and whispered in my ear "You'll always be my best friend no matter what." Then she walked into her house and I was left outside alone. It felt as though I would be alone forever.