Chapter 1:

Year 1976, London
The blowing horns of busy streets can be heard from a distance. In a falt room down the street of Stockholm Anirudh was resting his back against the chair by the study table, putting his arm on his eyes trying to guard the light of the afternoon sun coming from the window with a desperate attempt to drain down the tiredness of the week.
His light slumber broke by a sudden knock at the door.
Anirudh got up wiping his eyes and put on his specs wondering who's there at this hour of the day.
He opens the door. It's the postman.

Anirudh sat on the chair and opened the letter,

Dear Dada,
I hope you are doing well. There have been days since you last picked up my call. I went to the girl's hostel in Kolkata but alas she never came back after giving her 12th exam. She came one day to college, as one of her friends said, to take her results. That day she took a huge bunch of letters from the hostel, of course, the ones you sent her regularly. You thought she has still not forgiven you, but here things look something more and serious than that. She was quiet when she last came which was much opposed to her character, as the Warden observed. I went to the address which I got from the warden but the villagers said she left selling the house with her mother after her father died an unnatural death. The only one now who can help is Saurav da, but he's sent to the Puruliya estate. He shifted there with his wife. Now I told you at home that I went to Kolkata to meet my friend. If Baba come to know the real reason then, you know very well. I did whatever I could, now Dada forget her. People come and people go, life moves on. Move on Dada. Take care of yourself.
                           Your loving little brother,

                                        Som

"Forget her!" Anirudh sighed "I can't dear brother, I can't, people forget those who make no mark on their life but Bondita..... She didn't only make a mark but she became my life... Unknowingly she became a part of my life.. Her playful words, her mischiefs, her non-stop bak bak... I can never forget her... Never ever..."

************************************

Year 1974, Calcutta

"Hello friends, I'm Bondita, and you all are??"
All the other girls in the dining look at this one joyous one joyful for no reason standing on the chair. Wearing a black medium long shirt, pink loose trousers with a cloth headband on her medium length hair, this girl doesn't seem to belong to a rich family, but a well to do one. Her love for modern style clothing is evident.

********

"The warden is such a devil" exaclaimed Bondita while removing her socks.
"Why?" Asked her roommate
"Why?!" Bondita stood up with suprise in her expressions " you are asking why?! Didn't you see how she scolded me for no reason?!"
"For no reason?!" Ankita, her roommate looked up "you were standing on the chair at the dining room with your shoes on and you are telling that she had no reason to shout at you?!"
Bondita looked down.. "Yes... I agree it's a bit odd.... But now I'm here at the hostel.. Alone.. I have the right to lead a free life.. You know at home my father has a stick reserved for me and there's hardly a day when my ears don't get twisted by his hands"
"It's very proud of you" Ankita exclaims sarcastically looking at her.

That night all other girls, the mischievous gang to be specific came to meet Bondita. Ankita sighed and concentrated on her book.
"You are a month late Bondita"
"Yeah I know, the village people are such a villain, to them, there's no need of further study for girls... I say who gave them the right to decide on my future... To them, school is enough for a girl.. Me going to college will set a bad example.. All these problems caused the delay.."
Ankita looked up at her.. "Is this a very simple problem to you?"
"Simple?! It's a stupid problem to me"
"Stupid?!"
"Or else what, you know" she moves her face towards the gang "my father is the headmaster of the village school.. She got my didi admitted in school too but the boys bullied her so much that she never ever went to school again... And those stupid villagers took the boys side.. When he got me admitted to school.. Though my mother told him not to still my father was arrogant and I did full justice to my father's arrogance.. I started beating up boys and kept them under my feet.. But again those stupid people complained about me.. And surprisingly my father punished me.. Why man?! When those boys bullied Sampurna didi they were just let free but why this punishment on my case?!... I really don't understand"
"Really this injustice is everywhere... That's why we never leave a boy... We show them what girls can do" says Dalia
"Do you think bullying boys shows girl power?" Ankita asks looking at her book
"You study... You are a serious student you study and let us do our work" Dalia replies roughly
Ankita sighs
"She's right in one way, if the boy doesn't bother us why will we disturb them.. We will be friends with them.. Why create unnecessary war?!" Opines Bondita
"Hmm... Right enough.. But.. Yes we do have boys in our gang but you know playing with boys have a different level of amusement.. I know you can understand" Dalia gave a naughty sight at Bondita
Bondita too gave a naughty sight in return but she's not that level of naughty still fun is in her veins.

***********

Anirudh stared coldly at Somnath
Somnath dared not look up. He held his head low.
"I'm sorry Dada" Somnath apologised in a low tone
"You stole" Anirudh commented indifferently but coldly enough to make Somnath freeze with fright, "You STOLE ?! You dared to steal money from my wallet?!"
"I... I'm so... Sorry Dada" Somnath struggled to answer from his frozen state.
Anirudh continued to stare coldly which gave such a vibe that Somnath felt a chill inside him without even looking at his angry elder brother. He gulped.
"Sorry?! SORRY?!" Anirudh's voice rose a pitch up again making a shock wave run through Somnath's spine.
Anirudh moved towards the telephone
Somnath fell on his Dada's feet holding it firmly
"Dada... Please forgive me.. Give me any punishment you want to... Cane me beat me, lock me up, but please don't tell Baba... Please, Dada.. Please don't tell Baba... "
"You should have thought of this before stealing money to buy those wine bottles"
Somnath started sobbing hard
"Dada....."
"Leave my feet.."
"No Dada.. I'll not"
"Leave my feet Som" scolds Anirudh. Somnath left his feet in shock and kept knelt on the floor with his head held low.
"Go to your room... GO.. And henceforth if you dare to step out of the house without my permission then.. You know very well.. Baba has sent you to Calcutta under my Guardianship for your studies not to drink and have odd fun.. I also have a responsibility and so do you.. You are old enough.. You can't take advantage of my short absence like this.."
Somnath quietly listened to his brother's scoldings and gulped them with his head low. He knows very well if his brother's anger crosses the dam then his hands will speak and not his mouth.

Anirudh sits on his chair. His book is wide open but he can't concentrate. He got up putting down his specs on the table and went near the window. The full moon is shining bright in the sky illuminating the whole sky creating a light border on the floating clouds. He wondered.. For how long.. For how long.. He can't endure this any longer.. He can't endure this pressure of responsibility any longer. No freedom no love. He closes his eyes. The light breeze sweeps past his face making his hair dance lightly. He felt as if his mother is moving her hand, lovingly over his head. Feeling a loving kiss on his forehead, he opened his eyes. A silent drop of tear rolled across his cheeks.

****