Chapter 5: Who owns your life?

Anirudh got down the car and sat on the banks of the river. The cool river breeze made his hair dance on its rhythm. He looked at the high tide waves splashing against the banks. The sound of the water made his heart cry.

Bondita and her gang noticed him sitting on the banks. Today Ankita is also with them. Bondita slowly commenced towards her victim with a bucket of cold water. But, as she went near him, she stopped. She saw him standing erect but, he was sobbing, tears were rolling down his eyes. She understood there is some inner pain in him which he's not expressing on his face. His face is strict cold as usual. Something pinned Bondita, she kept the bucket there and slowly went towards him. Dalia and others were confused why she put the bucket down. Anirudh looked straight at the setting sun, it seemed with the setting sun the day will end...... And so will his life..

Bondita kept her hand on his shoulder. A huge wave splashed on the bank. The touch, the spalshing sound, Anirudh's heart felt a swirl. He looked back, Bondita's face had something which made him look at him like a baby, the golden rays of the sun made a sooting spark radiating out of her simple yet divine beauty, there's something in her which got reflected in her face making her look like a Goddess.

"What are you doing here Mr. Humpty Dumpty?" Her sweet naughty tone had a feeling of care in it. Anirudh suddenly choked and smiled.
Ankita and others just got shocked. Seeing Anirudh smile is a rare event that happen in this world.
"Why do you call me by that name?" Anirudh asked smiling with his hands in his pocket.
"Well, I like it... That's why"
Devendra appeared from behind and stood behind Dalia and gang. He followed their sight and got shocked as well. Anirudh speaking with Bondita with a SMILE?!

"What are you doing here?" Bondita asked innocently.
"Just like that... Feeling the cool river breeze"
"Why were you crying? Did your father scold you?"
Anirudh looked at her. He felt like crying out loud draing his heart, but, he refrained and gulped it down his throat.
"No no.. "
"Your voice sounds heavy"
Bondita's innocent interrogation was making his heart heavier.
"If you don't mind then I'll like to drop you home" Anirudh offered "it's going late"
"Sure"
Anirudh commenced towards the car anf opened the door, to the seat beside the driver ones. Bondita got up the car. Before getting in she signed to her gang with her eyes. Dalia and others just looked at the whole thing with their mouth wide open. Anirudh ascended the driver seat and started the car.

"Abe sale.." Devendra exclaimed.
The junior gang looked back at him. Dev realised he should not use this language before the juniors.
"Dev da... When did you come?"
"I knew you know.. Anirudh likes her"
"What are you telling Dada.. They always fight.. " exclaimed Ankita "I don't think there is any extreme case"
Dev looked down, "Yes, I just joked... But you know from the morning I felt Anirudh's mind is disoriented"
"You mean?"
"Family problems... I think he was up to something disastrous that's why I came here following his car on my cycle, he denied me to give a ride for some reason"
"I didn't get that" commented Dalia
"Something disastrous means?" Asked Ankita with concern
"I'm telling you, your this friend will turn out to be his life... And don't tell what I told you to her.. It's a request.. I want their friendship to bloom spontaneously"

***********

"Where are you from?" Asked Anirudh
"I'm from Kalipukur, a small village, my father is the headmaster of the High School there"
"Ohh I see, so you are tutored by your father it seems"
"Yes, and you know in my village girls don't go to High School, Baba tried to get my Didi admitted but the boys bullied her so much that she left, Baba complied with the boy's parents but they blame my Didi instead, then it was my turn and now I bullied boys, boys parents complained, at home Baba twisted my ears, made me do 100 situps, even caned me on my hand, but Bondita didn't change. Didi got married, my mischievous attitude increased more, but in result, I was the topper, villagers said Baba manipulated my results, he was hurt you know but still he kept faith in me and sent me here.."
Anirudh was much interested in hearing to her chattering
"So you are continuing your mischiefs here too"
Bondita lowered her head
"If this news goes to your father then what can happen?" Anirudh continued
Bondita looked up with shock " please don't do that... Please"
"Why?"
Bondita gulped "He'll scold me.. I'm very afraid of his punishments"
"Then why do you do these things?"
"Because I like to do these"

Anirudh stopped the car in front of the school.
"Wait a bit " Anirudh got down the car.
Bondita got down too. She saw a cute little figure running towards him, then hugging him tightly. He took him on his lap and came near the car.
"Who is she?" Asked Batuk.
"This is Bondita didi, my friend"
"Hi" Bondita tried to be friends with him. Batuk looked closely at her.

"Batuk come on, get inside"
"I'll sit on Didi's lap"
"Ok"
Batuk sat on Bondita's lap
"What's your name?" Asked Bondita
"My name is Batuknath Roy Choudhury, are you my Dada's best friend?"
"No... I'm your Dada's enemy, I like to fight with him, but today he was sad so I thought not to fight with him, do you know why he's sad? Did his Baba scold him?"
Anirudh looked at Bondita. She hit the right point.
Batuk looked at Anirudh "Were you crying?"
"No"
"Then why are your eyes red?"
Anirudh wiped his eyes "nothing, just dust"
Batuk patted on Anirudh's hands "Does it still hurt"
"No" Anirudh's voice was becomming heavy
"Did Som Dada left?"
"Yes"
"Baba also left"
"Yes"
"When will Som Dada come back?"
"Don't know"
"Are you still sad that Baba scolded you"
"Batuk sit quietly, can't you see I'm driving" Anirudh shouted at the top of his voice
Batuk got scared a bit. He pushed on Bondita's lap. His eyes became teary.
"Why are you shouting on him?!"
Anirudh tried to hold back his tears "I'm sorry"
Batuk started sobbing. Anirudh halted the car by the road. He took Batuk on his lap and kissed on his forehead, "Don't cry, I'm sorry..." Batuk sobbed and cleaned his nose on his shirt.
"Batuk, where is your hanky?"
Batuk looked at him and again rubbed his nose on his shirt.
Bondita smiled looking at the two.
"Do you two live here alone?"
"Yes" replied Anirudh
"Your Mother can come here, Batuk is too young"
"She is no more"
"Ohh I'm sorry... " Bondita caressed Batuk's hair. "Then who takes care of him?"
"Me"

Anirudh dropped Batuk at his home.
"Batuk go inside, I'll be back after dropping Didi... ok"
"Bye Didi"

Anirudh took Bondita to a Coffee shop.
"Now what was the need for this, Batuk is alone there"
"Servants are there, they only manage him in my absence, rather look after him, managing him isn't their job"
"Why? Is he mischievous?"
"Very much"
"It's hard, when your mother left him...."
"My mother didn't left him... he's my step brother" Anirudh's voice was harsh.
Bondita went quiet for sometime.
"You sounded harsh"
"Because I'm "
"Why?"
"You really want to know?"
"If you're comfortable to tell"
"My mother died in an accident when I was 10. My brother Som was 3. After 6 years suddenly my father thought I need a mom and he married. On her words he sent me to hostel.. She gave birth to Batuk and then died... as I came and took Batuk on my lap his crying stopped... so my quality education became unimportant and I turned into a babysitter"
Bondita looked at him for sometime. Then replied "By looking at you two it seemed that you love him by heart, like a mother.."
"Do I look like a Lady?"
"Who said only ladies can give mother's love?"
Anirudh looked at her
"Why are you trying to push him when you know very well how precious he is to you" Bondita added
Anirudh stared at her. Just stared at her. He's not alone, he recalled how Batuk cries when he doesn't find him around after he wakes up at midnight. He's not alone, he have a life attached to him, his stepmom can be evil but this kid... he never saw his mother, he brought him up, Batuk is his, he's his.... he's not of that lady he's his..... suddenly he felt a hit in his heart... what was he trying to do on the riverside... what was he trying to do?! If Bondita didn't come in that time then.............