🌊Chapter 7 🌊

time skip: ten years

Ajax- age 17, turning 18 soon

Y/N- age 16 

Ok i changed your age so you're two years younger than Childe. Ik that when you were reincarnated you were technically 7, so u should be 17, but like... just pretend u were 6. Cause whi not. (I have my reasons for this. Don't worry.

"Oi! Stink fish~" A 16 year old Wren ran towards her best friend and threw her arms around him, giggling madly as he paused mid-swing at the practice dummies in front of him. He smelled faintly of salty ocean water, like he always did, hence her nickname for him- and a hint of sweat. Wren wrinkled her nose. Gross- she pushed herself off his back and crossed her arms. "You're training again? Seriously, you gotta stop working too hard, you skipped breakfast today too!"

Ajax sighed and lowered his sword. "I told you, I have to keep in shape... even a couple days off would make a big difference, you know." He frowned down at her (curse tall people and their tendency to make her feel small) and said, "And how many times have I told you not to call me that?" They began walking towards the dining hall, dropping off his sword and armor as they went.

Ever since he had fallen into the abyss, Ajax had changed. Three years ago, he disappeared for a few days only to come back with month old scars. Not only that, but he was even faster, stronger, and more ruthless than before. The old Ajax would have winced, maybe sheepishly laugh and promise not to spend so much time swinging around his weapons. But now he seemed to have devoted the majority of his time honing his skills rather than functioning like a normal human being. 

Wren on the other hand was also secretly training. She would watch Ajax fight, and then teach herself to do it better. She learned how to control her power as well, and taught herself how to wield it like a blade. Ever since that incident in the slave auction so many years ago, she had told herself she would never feel that helpless ever again. No, Wren would learn to protect herself- even if that meant... at the expense of the lives of others. Yeah, although Ajax was cruel... so was she. Wren couldn't say anything about that.

A couple minutes later a red faced Scaramouche and a triumphant Signora emerged from the end of the hall, and they seated themselves at their table. All around them, the children (Now all grown up, she thought) stared at them with mingled distaste and awe. They made quite the group, didn't they? Signora, with her cold hearted personality, a perfect match to the icy Cyro vision she had been gifted by the Tsaritsa herself. Scaramouche, with his fiery temper and ability to emit an aura of fear so hostile you could feel it in a half mile radius. (She suspected he was working on that, too) Along with Ajax, the perfect killer, who wouldn't hesitate to slit your throat if it meant winning a battle...and then of course there was her. Wren really wasn't much compared to them in the eyes of the other contestants (contestants? Is that what they were?) because she had downplayed her skills for so long. But she had kept her smile on as bright and uncaring as possible, as if she didn't know that almost all of them would have to die in the end. They must have wondered just how she could smile that happily. It was a secret, but the reason was simple. She just knew that she would be one of the survivors. 

"...Angel?" Wren turned to Ajax, who held a small bowl of curry potatoes in his hand, paired with a glass of milk. She accepted the food and immediately shoveled a spoonful into her mouth, dropping her spoon in surprise when she found it was boiling hot. She took a swig of cold milk, the strange combination causing her to twist her face in distaste. Meanwhile, Ajax snickered beside her, but his jests were accompanied by a fond look of adoration. He didn't mean it. He never did.

~ 🌊 ~

The next day, Wren woke up earlier before Ajax even did. Today was important; it was Ajax's 18th birthday. On earth, it was turning 18 was technically the year you turned of age and was legally considered an adult, but here, turning 18 meant much more, and usually included week long parties. Well, depending on how well off you were, and Ajax truly did deserve the best, right? Especially because they hadn't been able to celebrate his birthday for a while. When he was 14, he fell into the abyss, and she decided the overlasting trauma needed as much time as possible to wear off.  When he was 15 and 16, he injured another contestant rather badly to the point where he was immobilized, and the next year he went home for a bit. She never found out why. And last year... the ninth tournament was held the same week, and they needed to train as much as possible.