❄️ Chapter 28 👑

Wren held a package of chicken skewers in her arms as she ran past the buildings of Mondstadt. She glanced around, searching for Kaeya's signature head of blue hair. She stopped to pet a cat, spotting Cat's tail pink haired bartender through the window. Wren waved, but the girl didn't seem to notice her, to preoccupied with dumping what looked like mud and sand into a glass. Wren shimmied through a narrow space in between the two buildings, wincing when her cheek scraped on the bricks. 

"Hey!" Wren ran over to the alley beside's Angel's share. Kaeya was sitting on top of a wooden crate of empty milk bottles, using a stick to poke at the ants crawling at his feet. He looked bored. Hearing her voice, Kaeya looked up, visibly brightening when he saw her. He jumped to his feet and trotted over. "Wren!" She giggled and threw her arms around his neck. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she kind of wished Kaeya never turned back. She preferred the younger him; he didn't try to provoke her or use cheesy pick up lines. She felt Kaeya tense under her embrace, but he was quick to relax and hug her back. She turned her head, blowing Kaeya's blue locks out of her face as she smiled, spotting the light pink flush on his tan skin.

"Did Master Diluc leave you out here?" She pulled back and asked. Kaeya shook his head. "No. He had to work. And I got bored. So I came out here." He pouted, and Wren laughed at his puppy-like expression. "I got you something that might cheer you up!" She stepped back and handed him the package of food, the paper slightly damp from the oil. Kaeya peaked inside, smiling when he saw it's contents. "Thank you," He said quietly. Wren smiled back at him. "Heh. You're welcome!" She sang. Kaeya thought for a moment, then said, "You always seem to give people food." Wren stopped, cocking her head to the side. "Huh?"

He took a bite of a skewer as they headed up the stairs of the plaza. "Food. You always have snacks to give me. Do you really like food so much?" Well, of course she did, Wren thought. She always had a special appreciation for good food. She was thinking of trying to recreate recipes from her old world, actually. But she had never actually realized that she had that particular habit of returning kindness as food. "Huh. Really? I never really noticed..." She hummed. "I guess..." Reaching the top of the stairs, she clasped her arms behind her back and leaned towards him. "I just like to give things to people I like!" Kaeya's eye widened, almost dropping the food in his hands. She tried to hold back her laughter as she watched him fumble for a few moments. "Come on, come on!" Wren turned around, not missing the embarrassment on the boy's face.

~❄️👑~

The stopped in front of Barbatos' statue. She looked up with a grin on her face. Kaeya stopped beside her, wiping his face carefully with a napkin and disposing of it in a nearby trash can. He narrowed his eyes. "What's with the look on your face?" He asked. "You gonna do something dumb, are you?" He said accusingly. Wren stared at him, puffing out her cheeks in annoyance. "I'm not dumb! And what do you mean again?" She spun on her heels. Wren walked towards the statue, and only when she reached up to grab hold of the stone did Kaeya finally catch on to what she was doing. "Wait!"

She paused, and turned around, only to find Kaeya's face right in front of hers. "Don't!" He yelped. "It's too dangerous!" She gave him a deadpan look. "Oh, don't be such a killjoy. I saw someone climb up here just this morning! I wanna try! I wanna sit up there!" Wren lifted her hand and pointed to Barbatos' outstretched hands, which she envisioned could create a makeshift platform for them to sit on. Kaeya looked up, seemingly unsure. "It'll be okay," She assured. "I'm not worried. I have you, right!" Kaeya narrowed his eyes once more, masking his blush with a deadpan look of his own. She giggled, turning once more and hoisting herself up, using the nicks in the stone as leverage. Kaeya's protests sounded from behind her,  but she didn't stop, instead continuing her ascend up the statue. Kaeya groaned behind her, finally relenting and reaching forward to climb behind her.