🌊 Chapter 9 🌊

This was rigged. Rigged, I tell you- Wren thought as she lay in the hospital cot of the regiment care center. With her eyes closed, she couldn't stop the frown on her face as she thought about the system's new notification a few hours earlier. She had a time limit? And on top of that, she only had a few months? It had taken her years- almost a decade- to get where she was at. Just why was this all happening to her? 

On the other hand, she was glad that the pain had finally subsided. Wren had no idea why it had happened, as she hadn't even used her powers. It couldn't have been the stress either, or the fear and anxiety running through her veins that day. Honestly, she was really lucky Kale had been the final kill to make the last 11 survivors- she could have died anytime before or after his death. If not for the gun, she wouldn't even be alive. Speaking of which, the gun was nestled safely on the night stand beside her, polished and clean of blood and sand. On closer inspection,  it really was beautiful, with its intricate engravings and sleek, sophisticated design. Like the ones back on her world, with a touch of Teyvat's wonder and style. 

Wren was alerted at the sound of footsteps. She listened as they slowly got closer and closer to her cot, then turned her head when they stopped beside her. She smiled when she saw who it was. "Ajax-" Sitting up, Ajax to threw himself into her arms. Wren blinked, slightly taken aback  by the sudden gesture, but giggled and snuggled into his embrace. "Don't scare me like that." He muttered. It sounded more like an order than anything. "Yeah yeah, ok~" She pulled back to look at him, taking hold of his face and saying, "It's cute that you're worried, you know..." Ajax blinked and leaned his head onto her shoulder, the tips of his ears a scarlet red. 

"You know, I really am alright. I feel fine~" Wren reassured him as he helped her fluff up the pillows behind her back. He sighed. "You're just going to keep saying that aren't you?" Wren laughed sheepishly. "It's true though..." Her voice trailed off as she noticed his expression. He seemed slightly taken aback as his eyes swept through her face. "What?" She asked. "Do I look weird or something?" Ajax hesitated. "....Your hair..." Wren frowned in confusion, pausing before reaching beside her to grab a mirror. Her eyes widened at what she saw. "Oh..." There was a solid streak of white running down her hair, so pure it looked like sparkling snow. She didn't think that her hair would turn white overnight, but she heard it had happened to people who had severe stress or had experienced a traumatic event. For her, maybe it was the latter. But it didn't make sense that a perfect portion of it was white.

"...Well, it's a new look, isn't it?" She said quietly. Ajax stayed silent. When she glanced over at him, he was sitting on the chair beside her, his arms crossed as he death stared the wall. "...Is the wall that interesting?" Wren joked, hating herself when her voice cracked, ever so slightly. Ajax jerked his head over to her. "It's not normal," He said bluntly. "Somethings wrong." He tapped his foot. "I... I don't want anything to happen to you. Not you." She blinked, then reached forward to clasp his hands in hers. "Nothings gonna happen to me," Wren said. Then, she put on her bravest smile. "I'm fine."

 She's not fine, he thought.

Unlocked: Mana & Visions. Would you like to view this tutorial?

~ 🌊~

Mana. Every living soul has mana. It is the essence of life, and holds great power over the host's body. It's held in the Mana core, in the center of the soul- severe damage to the Mana core can lead to rapid declination of the health, ultimately ending in death. Mana levels can vary from person to person. For some, it can be high- so high, even the gods of Celestia take notice and grant them the upmost honor of a vision.

Visions. Visions are simply conduits of mana, allowing a person to harness the energy within them and convert it into raw power. It gives them the ability to wield a single element. Once the holder is dead, the source of the vision's power is drained, creating a dead vision.