❄️ Chapter 29 👑

"So it seems," Albedo deduced. "That based on... ah... recent developments, the test subjects will rapidly return to their original age- in large increments at a time. In this case, it was five years, but at times, it may vary... and it occurs when certain emotions are evoked in particular situations... Sucrose, please record the data samples please..." "Yes Mister Albedo!" "Please Sucrose, Albedo is just fine..." "Yes Sir Albedo!" He sighed. Beside him, the alchemist with fluffy, mint green hair rapidly scribbled notes on a clipboard, while collecting vials into a wooden box with her other hand. Wren stared with vague amusement. She felt slightly impressed at the feat. The clumsy girl was quite good with her hands at times.

"Hmm, but it seems the reaction may only be applicable to one of the subjects at a time?" Albedo peered down at her. "Is it alright if I could have a sample of your hair as well? Perhaps analyzing your DNA will prove to be note worthy... we may be able to draw further conclusions from such things." Wren furrowed her eyebrows. "You sure?" He nodded. "Everything now is trial and error. After all, this is the first test. Abnormalities are to be expected. It's just how we recover from failures that matters, after all." He squinted at her.

Meanwhile, Kaeya watched the exchange with a frown on his face as he leaned against Jean's desk, arms crossed. It was strange. As the Alchemist had noted, his body had biologically advanced to when he was around fourteen years old. However, Wren was still the same- noticeable a child. He didn't even know her age, he realized with a start. But if what Albedo had been true, and the changes only happened when they felt certain things... what if the emotion that had triggered the reaction that night was... love? He felt a warmth rush to his cheeks at the realization. No. There was no way. He could not- he could not afford to be in such a relationship with someone. Especially now, as one of them was clearly much too young for such things. He felt squeamish thinking about it. And also, Wren was most likely to brush him off either way.

Oh well, Kaeya thought. All in good time. He smiled to himself. When she gets older again, I'll make sure to court her properly.

~❄️👑~

So basically, Kaeya had grown, and she did not. Why was that?  Wren thought. It was kind of a letdown, especially since Kaeya could now tease her with his newfound height. He towered over her- probably because he was exactly double her current age... but still, it was unfair and very annoying. She very much wanted to kick him in the shins every time she saw his face. And she did. On multiple occasions. However, maybe it was just because her childlike body wasn't strong enough- but her attacks never really seemed to faze him. Was she really that weak? The thought made her feel kind of angry, actually. Wren went to the front gates to pick dandelions.

She reached down, gently blowing on the fluffy seeds and collecting them in her skirt pocket as they blew up into the air. Maybe Jean would like these. 

"Hey! Miss Wren!" She continued to pick at the fluff off the stems, not caring to turn around and face the harbinger. The fallen leaves on the grass rustled as Childe lowered himself to the ground. "What are you doing?" He asked playfully. "What does it look like?" She retorted sharply. "So cold," He sighed. Childe reached forward to pluck a whole dandelion by it's stem, grasping all the seeds in his fist and twisting them off all at once. "Here you go," He said, holding them out to her. Wren stared at them, frowning. "You crushed half of them you brute. And there's still fluff on some of them. Pick out the nice ones if you want to give them to me." Childe rolled his eyes, but complied. He unfurled his fingers and began to toss the crushed seeds over his shoulder.

"Why are you here? Don't you have adult stuff to do?" She narrowed her eyes in suspicion. Childe laughed. "Yeah of course I do- I just don't want to do it." "So?" She stared at him expectantly. "That's why I;m here," He said. She gave him a deadpan look. "I don't think you should do that. Won't that lady be mad?" He frowned. "Who?" She thought for a moment. "That woman," She said. "She follows you around sometimes. She wears a mask." "Ah, Ekatarina! Yes, I know. It's okay though, she won't do that." Wren frowned. No way was he just going to be let off doing work that easy. Even if he was a harbinger. "I don't think so," She retorted. "She seems like a very responsible adult. Unlike you," She added the last part spitefully. "Hey!" She giggled. "Gimme my seeds," She held out her hand expectantly. He laughed at her haughty expression but dropped his handful into her hand. "So demanding," Childe sighed.