❄️ Chapter 17 - Waltz of Ice and Frigid Winters 👑

As cold as his heart.

~❄️👑~

Wren was busy for the next few days, completing commissions (there was a big difference between escorting and destroying cargo balloons...) and helping out around Mond. She didn't have a lot of time to think about anything else, and soon her days became a repeat of waking up, working, having a quick meal, then conking out on her bed at odd hours. Sometimes she would head to bed only to notice the sun rising into the sky once more.

She found that she didn't mind it though, the tedious work that she had committed to. It felt nice to be helpful, in other ways then slaughtering criminals. A different kind of community work. But sometimes, Wren felt like it was just a bit too much. Like right now. Why isn't this stupid thing dying already?  She thought as she dodged another missile from a ruin hunter. She pulled another electro orb from her bag, glad she had restocked the previous day and tossed it up towards the machine, quick to throw another, this time pyro, so that the two collided right on it's weak point. It halted as the overload reaction caused an explosion on it's face- face? The ruin hunter shuddered, freezing for just a moment. Finally.

Without hesitation, Wren leapt into the air, landing on the back of the machine, her boots echoing on the metal. She flicked out her fingers, allowing sharp, claw like extensions to unsheathe themselves from her gloves. Then, she thrust her hand deep into the automaton's head, ripping out it's core from its body. Then, she launched herself off of the machine, staying airborne for a few moments before rolling and stopping on the ground, heaving. Wren smiled softly, turning the chaos core over in her hands once before dropping it into her bag. At least she got a good drops from it... she stopped as the hollow sound of applause ran through the clearing. Her head jerked to the side, and she paused before turning towards the source of the noise.

Oh. It was him. She had been so busy the past few days she had completely forgotten about the capture target. "What a performance..." Kaeya praised. "Who knew you were such a fighter?" Wren crossed her arms, shifting her body away from him in annoyance. "Why is it surprising?" Kaeya held up his hands in surrender, laughing lowly as he stepped towards her. She took a step back. Oh no you don't. "...Wasn't really sure, back then. The tavern was rather dark back then- but even so, I was still able to see your face... so why do you hide, even now?" Wren huffed, yanking down her hood with one swift motion. "Happy now?". Kaeya laughed, pulling a coin from god knows where and flipping it in the air, seemingly a habit of his. "An attitude too... you're going to be a handful." She rolled her eyes. "That's rich, coming from you." With that, she spun on her heel, stepping over the fallen body of the ruin hunter and heading back to Mondstat, the morning dew on the grass squeaking in protest as Kaeya made to follow her.

He made no further moves to talk to her, simply opting to trail after her like a lost puppy (even if he was anything but that) and whistling all the way. The tune was too cheerful, nothing like the tension in the air between them. What was his problem? Seriously, this was her new capture target? Yes, his cunning personality was a good challenge, but for some reason, everything he did seemed to tick her off. Even then, her fingers itched to stab something. Well, based on the game scenarios, a lot of characters were kinda like him. She would have to get used to it, even if she didn't like it. Behind her, Kaeya began flipping his coin again as they walked, the subtle clink of the metal accompanying the melody of his song. It was... strangely calming. Annoying so. Just a bit longer...

~❄️👑~

Kaeya Alberich was a different sort of character. He hailed from the fallen city, and had been separated from his father at a young age so that he could infiltrate Mondstat and gain a vision... as a prince, he had a duty to his kingdom, and responsibilities that were probably too much for young Kaeya to burden. After, the family he worked so hard to gain was eventually broken up. By Crepus Ragnvindr's "death". A/N :D It was no surprise he turned out the way he did; from a kind of naive, open hearted dreamer, to a cold, calculating master of manipulation who hid his secrets behind a carefully crafted mask. To be honest, it was kind of admirable, his ability to hide his emotions- it was a good trait to have, even though it wasn't really an honorable one. But it was exactly what made this mission difficult.

To gain the attention of a cold hearted character, you must act cold and reserved in return, that she knew as much. Curiosity would be his downfall- which was why she was making an effort to stay blissfully ignorant of Kaeya Alberich's advances- at least for the time being. Until his half hearted comments became genuine. Until then, it was simply a waiting game. 

She sat at the drawing desk in the small inn she had picked a week prior, a quill and writing paper in front of her. It was a similar scenario to several years ago- just in a different time, and in a different place... she took the quill and sighed, brushing the feathery tip on her nose as she swung her legs from the chair. Wren turned to stare outside, where the moon was shining brightly among a myriad of stars. It was funny. The stars never seemed to move, here in Teyvat.

She unscrewed the lid of the ink bottle, dipping the nib inside and bringing it to the paper, taking a breath before beginning to write. It had been a while, since she had been a part of an organisation of any sort. The last one she had been in... did not end well. But Wren was ready. She had to be ready. This next step of her plan was crucial for this new development.

To the Acting Grand Master, Jean- I need a favor.

Yes, Kaeya Alberich was different. A lot of people were. She couldn't judge him, couldn't say if he was a good or bad person- after all, despite his purpose, he still hadn't turned his back on the city of freedom- but in doing so, he had abandoned his home, so which was which? He had everything but nothing- the love of several maidens in Mond, the reputation of a young genius and as the calvary captain of the knights- but things he truly wanted were out of his grasp. Just a little, just within reaching distance- so close you could feel it... and yet so far away. The feeling was maddening, she knew. And to be the object of his desire was her goal. An unreachable treasure he couldn't help but covet. That was how he would fall for her. That- was how she would conquer.

~❄️👑~

A/N OMG GUYS IM SO SCARED I MIGHT ACTUALLY MISS YAE MIKO'S BANNER- but ei and kokomi are having reruns so yay? But like I already have kokomi- still kinda mad I got her instead of Hutao on her banner- my pity wasn't high enough :c ANYWAY 1K READS WHOO- TY FOR THE LOVE-

ok ik i said the next chapter would be march break but im procrastinating after a month of hard, hard work- whose procrastinating rn, i wanna k so i don't feel bad o - o