🌊 Chapter 13- Ajax Tartaglia 🌊

He seriously regretted letting her out of her sight that day. Who knows what the girl had been doing in the city. Even when she returned, perfectly unscathed, he couldn't help the feeling of anxiety building in his chest, the feeling almost unbearable as the two followed the Ragnvindr's carriage. "We need to keep moving, " She reminded him. He nodded, following her as the sped through the forest. They were closing in now; he had planted those explosives himself earlier that morning. Suddenly, Angel stopped. "Whats wrong?" He asked. The girl said nothing, her now almost completely white hair flowing in the wind. She watched the carriage inch forward a few more feet, a strange look on her face "...This... isn't right..." She broke out into a sprint and ran out from the bushes, and Ajax's protests died in his throat as he watched her run after the it. 

"No..." He said quietly. He wanted to run to her, to stop her, but his feet seemed to be glued to the ground. For once in his life, Ajax felt... unsure. That was troubling. Emotions got you killed on the battlefield. Hesitation was not an option. Yet here he was, unable to do anything but watch as the girl he loved went up in flames, trying to save another.

~ 🌊~

"Please, please..." It had taken all of Ajax's resolve to wait until the knights of Favonius came and took the young master away. His redish hair was like a beacon against the light greens of the trees behind him. Crimson red, like blood. It was Angel's blood that was on his hands. If only he had stopped her. If only... he thought as he dove into the wreckage of what used to be the carriage. The flames had been so high the girl had been engulfed in it. But Angel was not a normal girl. Surely... surely she would survive, right? A fleeting memory of Angel standing in the breeze came to mind. 

"You're not getting rid of me that easily, Ajax!"

"I'm gonna keep calling you stink fish, stink fish, and theres nothing you can do about it~

"I love you."

Before he knew it, a tear slid down his soot covered face, and he rubbed it away angrily. How dare he be sad. He should be the one dead. Why, why was it her? Her, who was so innocent and never failed to see the good in every one. Her, who always had a smile on her face, no matter how much pain she was in. Her, who was brave even in the face of death. Her, her, her... and now Ajax realized... he never even knew her real name. She was always Angel to him. His Angel, his salvation... and now.... there. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a glimmer of gray stone laying underneath a plank of wood. He clambered towards it, yanking the chain from underneath the plywood and holding it up to the sun. His heart dropped in his chest.

It was broken. Broken into smithereens; you couldn't even tell what the original charm had looked like. He didn't want to believe it when he felt the sharp stab of pain at his chest when his own had broke... but now he knew. What had happened, inevitably. He slumped over, the chain wrapped tightly in his fist. He could still remember the day she had given one to him. He hadn't really thanked her properly, that day, but he could still see the elated look on her face when he put it on.  He cursed his past self for spending all his time training instead of being with her. She had died because he hadn't been attentive enough, hadn't been strong enough. For that, he would hate himself forever. For that, he would remind himself to keep fighting, to keep training. So that this- never happened ever again. No more loose ends. No more friendships. No more love. This, he would remember every time he went into battle. Every fight he would win. For her. 

Her.

🌊

A/N So ya, kinda short, but like I pushed out two chapter in one day so bear with me. i uh,  realized that i never really showed what Wren looks like? Here:

Older Wren, younger Wren, yk yk