« 17 »

Alpin scoffed and looked at the moon. The wind blew a gentle breeze to the North. The boughs swung left and right as the gust passed. Though the sky was dark and black, I could see straight through it. Alpin sighed and looked down at me.

"Let's be grateful that the moon is waning tonight," he grins. I nodded in agreement. I took a deep breath before standing up. Alpin stood up as well. He dusted his shorts and ran his fingers through his flaxen hair.

I started making my way back to the cottage. I bent and crawled under a large branch. I gritted my teeth as I slipped through some bushes because the tiny twigs scratched my knee. I heard leaves rustling behind me. I chortled while I jumped in a puddle.

"You're following me, Alpin?" I turned around to face him. He rolled his eyes while I simpered in amusement.

"What does it look like?" he ironically scowled.

I stopped walking and stared at him. "Why though?"

"Are you that stupid?" he snapped. "I can't possibly stay out here in the wild, can I?"

"Of course you can, you're a lycanthrope."

"Just because I'm a lycan doesn't mean I won't be in danger in the wild."

I giggled and we both reached the chalet. He scrunched his nose and started sniffing the air. I gawked as he snuffled. He smiled and sighed deeply. I wanted to ask what he was doing, but I didn't.

He gets to keep some of his werewolf abilities even as a human, I thought. How could I forget?

He licked his lower lip and signaled me to open the door. I titled my head and glared at him in bafflement. He got impatient and said "open it" in a quiet voice. I smiled nervously and turned the knob. But it was locked. I walked backward and peeped through the window. Russia was on the couch. I went back to the front door and stared at my companion.

"What's wrong?" Alpin asked.

"Oh nothing," I muttered. "I'll just knock on the door, don't mind me."

I took a deep breath and started pounding on the door. It opened in a flash and the slav smiled when he saw me. It faded away when he saw Alpin. The relief in his face was replaced with perplexity and confusion.

"Hello again," he beamed before glancing at the male behind me. "Um...who are you?"

"I'm Alpin Clyde Franklyn," Alpin said, sticking out his hand for a shake. Russia gladly took it. "I'm this idiot's friend."

I rolled my eyes at that nickname he gave me. "Yeah, this idiot is my friend alright."

Russia laughed and we smiled at his mirth. He told us to come in for dinner. We sat down at the spruce dining table and waited for Russia. He carried a plate of spare ribs and a bit of rice. He set it in front of us. I had to resist drooling while Alpin's mouth was already dangling open. We stared at it in admiration while Russia simply rolled his eyes.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Christmas?" Russia joked. He started putting a piece on our plates. We both took a bite before letting out a deep sigh.

"This is delicious!" Alpin and I shouted in unison.

~~~

I averted my eyes to the bookshelf before standing up. Alpin was staying with us and it's both great and annoying at the same time. It's not that I don't like him, it's just that he can be really annoying sometimes.

The grandfather clock rang and I stood up and slowly dragged my legs to the kitchen. I opened a bag of chips and ate. I went back to the living room and Alpin wasn't there. I noticed the door was creaked open.

"He must've left," I muttered under my breath. Why would he need to leave though? Possibilities and theories filled my head. I stood there like a statue for about ten minutes until my thoughts were interrupted by a gruff voice.

"Are you ok?"

I snapped into reality and saw Russia. He looked concerned. I smiled and patted his head.

"Never been better!" I shouted with glee. He raised an eyebrow.

"Ok weirdo," he said in sarcasm.

"Thank you very much," I smiled. Russia giggled and rolled his eyes. He gently placed the vase he was carrying on a table and looked around. He made a baffled and twisted expression.

He rubbed his eyes. "Where's that friend of yours?"

"Oh, you mean Alpin?"

"That's his name? If so, then yeah."

I gazed at the footprints on the mud. "I'm not sure."

I grabbed a hat and sprinted into the woods. After a few minutes, I reached the heart of the forest. The wind blew into my face as I looked for Alpin. Finally, I saw him sitting near the cliff. I silently approached him. Just as I was about to tap his shoulder, he chuckled.

He turned around with a wide grin. "When are you ever gonna stop sneaking up on people?"

"Never," I replied. I sat next to him. We observed the view. Tall pine trees stood proudly as the sunlight touched the green needles. Mountains faded into a light of gray from a far. The fluffy clouds fluttered atop us calmly while the sweet, cool breeze brushed against our skins.

Alpin coughed softly to break the silence surrounding us. I turned to face him. He gawked back at me.

"What?" he whispered, "is there something wrong?"

"No, it's nothing. I thought you like...er, got a lung problem or something," I said in a low tone. He furrowed his eyebrows and scratched his head with confusion.

"What on earth do you mean?" he exclaimed with a frown. I chuckled.

"It is nothing, do not worry," I murmured. Alpin shook his head and laughed.

"You're messed up," he chortled and punched my arm in a rather painful way. I yelped and rubbed where he hit me.

"I know," I admitted. "I'm messed up."

Hours passed and we've been staring at the trees and skies. Add talking and chatting then we'd be okay. I was kinda getting hungry, so I figured that we should go back to Russia's house. I turned my head to face the werewolf next to me, who was gazing at the clouds. I poked him a bit before he finally looked at me.

"What?"

"I think we should go back—"

"You go ahead, I'll come back too."

"But—"

"I'll come back too, now go. Run along and satisfy that growling stomach of yours!"

"I—"

"Go!"

I stood up and ran to Russia's house. I stared back at Alpin. He was still staring at the clouds. I'm kind of worried about what he might do. I mean, even though he is currently a human...he can be quite dangerous.

I'm just hoping he doesn't come back covered in blood.

———

I feel like rewriting this book :^ also, no pic sorry :\