Scene 20

Sasuke is steaming. He glares down at the painting he holds in his hands. Neji just walked out with [Name]. His girl. It doesn't make it any better to know that [Name] isn't actually his girl. Just some chick he knows.

He feels a hand on his shoulder, and his rage goes from a boil to a simmer.

"Hey, Sasuke." It's Naruto. The last person he wants to talk to right now. "Can I speak to you for a second?"

Sasuke barely gives his brother a glance but allows him to speak. Naruto shuffles his feet at the tense air around the two of them.

"You know, Ma still wants you to come home."

"I know." His reply is curt.

"She worries about you. And I want you home too."

Sasuke remains silent as Naruto continues. "You're my brother no matter what we go through. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like a burden."

Sasuke feels an edge to Naruto's tone. It's sincere, but at the same time, Naruto is a good actor, and at times, Sasuke can see straight through his act.

"Mom's making you apologize to me, huh?" Sasuke says, staring straight into Naruto's eyes. He doesn't know where he gained the confidence to stare his brother down. As of late, his feelings have been all over the place. He's saying things to Sakura he never would have in the past; his mind feels numb to the social cues of others. Even more, he's found the courage to start courting [Name].

Old Sasuke would've crumbled at the apology and sulked back home with Naruto. But new Sasuke doesn't care. He knows he's a burden. He knows he's unwanted. And he's okay with these feelings. As long as he has [Name], these things mean nothing to him. They're all raindrops that make her rainbow shine brighter.

"No, that's not it," Naruto says. He reaches out towards his brother, but his hand falls short. "I really---"

"I'm not coming back home." It's Sasuke's final answer. It's unwavering and powerful. The sound of Sasuke's booming voice shocks Naruto. Even he is surprised at Sasuke's confidence. "I'm comfortable with Sakura. I'm finding my way through life without any of you."

"Sasuke. You've been off your---"

"I accept your apology. And I'm also sorry for making any of you take care of me for so long. But for now, leave me alone."

"Sasuke!"

Sasuke stalks off, painting in hand. "I won't have to be a burden to any of you any longer."

Outside, thunder roars, but there is no rain. Sasuke spots [Name] standing alone a distance off. Before he can call to her, a vintage muscle car pulls up beside her. Neji hops out of the car to open her door with a smile.

"Neji, you're such a gentleman," Sasuke hears the faint voice of his obsession. He frowns.

Once they're both in the car, they drive off into the night. Sasuke watches for as long as he can before turning away. He finds his car and tosses the painting into the front seat.

A loss pools in his chest, numbing him further. He no longer holds [Name's] attention. Neji does. Just like how Naruto stole [Name's] attention that night. He wants to scream but keeps it locked in his throat.

She is slipping through his fingers as he sits here. The longer she's with Neji, the further away she feels.

All he has left is Sakura. That's it.

He remembers how she's waiting for him, scantily clad too. It doesn't excite him how it once did, but the thought of her waiting for him warms his cold body. The numb feeling sits on standby for now.