Scene 23

Coffee.

Tea.

Coffee.

Tea.

Two sugars.

Cream.

Two sugars.

And cream.

Steam billows from the cup placed in [Name's] hands. She's still jumpy from last night, but Neji has stayed by her side the entire time. Making caffeinated drinks just to keep her from nodding off, per her request. She's tired, he can tell by the way her eyes droop close, but as the hot liquid in the cup teeters at the edge of spilling or not spilling, she jolts right back up, eyes fluttering and blinking.

Then she smiles right at him—a pure, sleepy, sad smile.

"You should really get some rest," Neji says. He checks his watch and then continues saying, "It's almost five in the morning."

Sure, five in the morning is early for some and wake-up times for others; but considering their late-night escapades and the fact that someone broke in during the middle of the night, keeping them both up in the late AM, an hour and a half of sleep is not enough for a functioning adult.

[Name] yawns, using the back of her hand to wipe her eyes. "I'll be fine. A coworker is covering my shift today, so I'll have the rest of the day to nap."

Neji sighs. "C'mon, [Name]. You're making me worried."

She grabs his hand, placing the coffee down on the coffee table. The crouch creaks beneath her as she maneuvers into Neji's arms which he so kindly wraps around her. "I told you I'll be fine. Really."

Neji wraps a blanket around her shoulders. "Is it because of the nightmare?"

[Name] will admit the nightmare spooked her. Something so evil wanted and got to her. There was nothing she could do about it either. As of late, her nightmares have increased, from uneasiness edging to pure terror. There aren't many times when she'll take hints from the universe, but something is coming for her, looming over her life, etching its dark lines into her bright canvas.

And it's getting closer.

"Yes," she admits, her voice croaking. "Neji, I'm... Scared. I feel like there's something out to get me."

Neji rubs her shoulder. He never thought his night would come to this. He never thought he'd build such a connection with her. The gala was just a first meeting, the sex was spontaneous, and he never saw the break-in coming, but with each event, Neji grew closer to her. An interpersonal relationship blossomed in less than a day. Regardless of all that, Neji promises to be there for her, to comfort and care, to hold and fawn over---he will be there throughout it all.

"I'll be there for you, [Name]." He doesn't know how long this relationship will last, if it will last at all beyond this morning, but right now is all that matters. "You have nothing to be afraid of."

A light snore breaks him from his rumination. He peeks at her face, smiles, and allows her to rest.

...

Sasuke's muscles creak as he sits up from the front seat of his car, sunlight pouring into his windshield. His clothes, still damp from hours before, cling to his skin. He can feel the bags hanging from his eyes.

The storm is over as if he never began. Only puddles filling potholes and the dewy verdure are evidence of it ever being there.

He checks his surroundings. Nothing but wild, golden wheat stretches in all directions as he sits on a gravel road that expands even further.