Scene 22

[Name] cannot stop shaking.

The intruder was in the same room as her; In the same area as her. Breathing the same air, crossing the same floor she does every day. He didn't see her; he just walked right past and exited out of the window. Thankfully whoever that was changed their mind midway through their execution.

Neji doesn't want to leave her side, but he must secure the area. The lights flicker under the harsh storm but ultimately stay on. [Name], huddled beneath her blankets, watches Neji pass through the hallway for the umpteenth time. He says he's repairing the broken window he found.

He walks past the door again, his shadow casting across the wall. It reminds [Name] of the intruder. The invader seems so familiar to [Name]. She couldn't see them in the darkness, but their scent and footsteps were all too similar to someone else she knew.

"Okay, calm down," she mutters to herself, shaking. The window to her room remains open. She begged Neji not to get near it just in case the person attacks from outside or decides to enter again. Though after twenty minutes, it's improbable the intruder will come back.

"Calm down. Calm down!" She berates herself, tears threatening to spill. Though she sucks them back, pinching herself to keep the tears from falling.

Finally, Neji enters the room. The cold room air nips his skin, so he closes the window and locks it. After pulling the curtains close, he turns to her. "The area is safe. I even checked outside. There's no one there."

[Name] stares blankly at him as he approaches.

"Should we call the police?" He asks, holding his phone up.

"And what?" [Name] scoffs, knowing how useless they'll be right now. "The guy is gone! It's storming outside! And! And!"

"[Name]. Relax."

"By the time they get here, what evidence will there be?! The rain would've washed it away by now." She buries her face into her hands. "Even if we call, even if we do hand over evidence, it's storming outside. It'll take them hours to get here."

Neji stays silent as he finds his dress shirt from the art gallery and passes it to her. She thanks him and slips it on.

He sits on her bed cross-legged and beckons her over. "Come here."

She crawls into his lap, pulling her blanket with her.

"I don't think I can sleep now," [Name] says, laying her head on his shoulder. His skin is cold. She wraps the blanket around them both. "I'm too scared."

Neji hugs her and thinks of ways to comfort her. He hardly knows anything about her, so there are a billion questions he can ask. "Tell me how you became an artist."

"What?"

"Just tell me. To distract yourself."

[Name] puts on a sad smile. "My mother convinced me to become one."

"Oh, really? How so?"

"She was an artist too before she had me, but I'd always make her little pictures when I was younger. They made her happy," she says simply, reminiscing on the past. "My mother suffered from depression, and as the oldest child, I always wanted her to be okay because I knew what she was going through. So, I studied art and went to alternative schools that supported my way of learning. Still, before I could graduate from middle school, my mother committed suicide."

[Name] sighs. "I don't know why I'm telling you this."

Neji shakes his head, watching the rain smack against the window. The lights flicker. "No, I'm here to listen. My father also committed suicide. So... Please tell me everything."