Scene 13

Sasuke taps eagerly on the wooden table, waiting for [Name] to visit him. He sent her the address to his home, told his family that a friend is coming over, and set an extra spot at the dinner table for her too. All he must do is wait, but he's becoming nervous.

The food is almost ready, and [Name] still hasn't confirmed when her arrival will be. Sasuke begins to bite his nails down, his anxiety setting in already. It bubbles in his stomach and gives him the jitters. He bounces his leg and gives glances towards the door.

Naruto waltz down the stairs from his bedroom and gives his brother a quizzical look before heading into the kitchen with his mother. Sasuke overhears their conversation as he sits at the dining room table.

"Ma, he's like freaking out. What's wrong with him?" Naruto tries to whisper, but he sucks at it.

"Nothing is wrong with him! He's just a little nervous. When was the last time he had a friend over? Hm?" Kushina snaps.

"I don't know-"

"Exactly! He's just excited to see them is all!"

"But ma, he's like, biting his nails off."

Kushina sighs.

That's when Sasuke hears stomping coming towards him, and fast too.

WHAP!! WHAP!!

Kushina smacks Sasuke's hands with a wooden spoon. He hisses but doesn't cry out. The red marks form on his pale hands, and he stuffs then between his legs to prevent any further damage.

"Stop biting your nails! Last time you did that, your fingertips were bleeding! And I'm not trying to go through a whole box of bandages again!" Kushina nags Sasuke until he says Sorry and Okay a billion times.

Kushina huffs and returns to the kitchen to finish off dinner. Once she leaves, Sasuke raises his fingers to his lips again, but once he spots the red blemishes on his hands, he stops. His hands drop to his sides, and he stares towards the door. His leg bouncing continues.

Naruto exits the kitchen and approaches his brother. He pats Sasuke's shoulder, making him jump and cease all movements. "So, a friend? Girl or guy?"

"Girl," Sasuke answers quickly, unable to look at his brother.

"A girl? Surprised Sakura is okay with that," Naruto jokes, but Sasuke doesn't smile. Sasuke understands that if Sakura knew about [Name] coming over, she'd throw a hissy fit.

"What's her name?" Naruto asks, taking a seat next to Sasuke.

"[Name]," he answers simply. "She's the one that painted that picture in my room."

"Oh, cool, cool."

The conversation goes dead afterward. As much as they love each other, the two couldn't connect like other siblings could. Sasuke couldn't put any effort into formulating a relationship with his new brother after Itachi died; since afraid of losing him as well. So Naruto is more like a distant friend to him rather than a brother.

Naruto takes care of Sasuke, but Sasuke can't do the same for Naruto.

In that moment of silence, Sasuke's phone jingles. He snatches it up in a second, reading the message from [Name].

"She's here," he mumbles and shoots up from his chair. "She's here, she's here!"

Sasuke hurries to the front door. Before he opens it, he flattens down any stray hairs.

"[Name]!" He greets, his arms open wide. A big smile graces his face, and [Name] is happy to see him happy.

"Hey!" She says back, accepting his quick embrace. She steps inside, and the savory aroma of food enters her nose. "Mmm, the food smells good."