Scene 24

It's been hard to sleep lately. Not only has [Name] found reprieve on the couch these last few nights, but she has also found her body aching in the morning from all the discomfort of an old lumpy sofa. Regardless of the pain, she pushes through it. At least from the couch, she can see the front door, the front windows, and partially the kitchen. The break-in is still affecting her. It shows. Reena sees it.  May knows something's up.

[Name] stumbles through the library, massaging her shoulder and taking multiple breaks just to stretch out her back. Then she passes by Reena's desk, and Reena calls out to her, her glasses hanging low on the bridge of her nose.  "[Name], darling!"

[Name] turns, pushing a cart of returned books. She catches Reena's eye, who's waving her over. Reena looks like a disappointed mom.  [Name] stops by her desk, knowing she's in trouble.

"Darling, what's wrong with you?" Reena asks, accusatory but still concerned. Reena knows [Name] can get herself into a bit of trouble from time to time. Crazy exes and regretful one-night stands aren't a thing of the past for [Name], so if she needs help getting a restraining order or doxxing someone, Reena is the one to go to. An internet warrior that woman is. 

"What do you mean?"

Reena scoffs at the question. "I've seen you on some really bad mornings before. Hangovers, late night studying for exams, and even those times when you come rushing in late cause some guy blew your back out," Reena shifts to her computer, typing on her keyboard, "What I'm getting at is, you look worse than those times. Like way worse. What the fuck did you do? What the fuck happened?"

[Name] hesitates. After all, she's still shaken up about the break-in. It doesn't help that Luke, her brother, is always out working extra hours for overtime, so she's home alone most of the time. 

Reena stares her down. Not even a second later, [Name] spills the beans. "My house got broken into a couple nights ago!" She covers her mouth as if she just said something awful.

Reena's jaw drops in disbelief. She begins machine-gunning questions at [Name], "Why didn't you tell me before?! What happened?! Did you get hurt? Did you call the police? When did this happen?"

[Name] sighs after all the inquiries spill out of her agape mouth. "It happened the night of my art gallery with the Uzumakis. I...I went home, I was in bed, and just suddenly, I heard my window break from the next room over. It was so dark, I couldn't see anything. It was just—it was just crazy. I'm sorry."

"Sorry?! You could've gotten hurt. What do you have to be sorry for?"

"I know, I know. I'm just sorry for not telling you sooner. But the guy didn't take anything or hurt me. He just...left."

 What a freak," Reena says. "No wonder you're looking so...blue." There's another word Reena wants to use, but she's trying to be sensitive to her friend's situation. Telling one of her besties that her eyebags are nearly hanging down to her chin isn't appropriate for the situation.

"Yeah," [Name] sighs, leaning on the desk, "I've been sleeping on the couch. I'm just too scared to go back into my room."

Reena stands, grabbing [Name's] hand. "Do you need to crash at my place?"

[Name] smiles at her friend's generosity. "If my paranoia becomes too much, I'll come right over with a blanky and an overnight bag."

Reena giggles and shoos her back to work. With that conversation over, [Name] feels a weight fall from her shoulders. Sometimes, Reena isn't the best to talk to, especially on touchy subjects, but she'll always give a supporting hand. If she had spoken to May before Reena, May would've blown the entire situation out of proportion. She'd tell Reena there's a hole in the side of [Name's] house, and now the poor girl is sleeping on the streets.