a starlit world away from earth with you

sneaking in and out the back door, your fingers slipping through mine, warm and secure and safe. the only place i've ever felt safe. running through the woods, away from the lights and into the dark, where we can just be who we are, two people who are clueless as children as we fumble in the starlight. your lips look better when they're touching mine. your hands belong on my body. i can't ignore the flutter in my heart when you are near. the way i don't know how to distract myself when the others leave and we are alone. the way i don't want to distract myself. i want to stare at you for a moment too long. a thousand moments too long. i gave up california sunsets to feel this, and i can't make myself regret it. i'm sorry i can never make my mind up. i'm sorry i failed before, i'm sorry my mind is like a pool of the highest highs and the lowest lows you'll ever feel, but i wouldn't rather feel this with anyone else, and i hope you wouldn't either. screen doors slamming shut behind us, stumbling out of trailers in the morning, hastily reaching for your hand in the moments when their eyes, the camera's eyes, are away. we can give them the world, but they can't have this. they can't touch us. we are higher than the stars from this love, and we're never coming back down to earth again.