a guiding star smile in the deep summer

a month ago, in june. you and i are under an orange sky on a bridge watching the sun set over the water. your laughter floats through the air like the breeze; every time your eyes catch mine, my breath hitches. yours are the biggest brown-green eyes i've ever seen. you can't tell i'm nervous. what's to be nervous about, anyway? we're just two friends having fun, singing to danzig and maximo park and rancid without a care in the world. friends. that's all we will ever be. but that's not what i want...i hope it's not what you want either. i hope when you grab my hand and spin me around (you always were taller) you feel it too. your smile is my north star in the dark. i'll follow you for eternity, blindly, forever chasing this feeling. it's the high minus the ativan. you saved me; the music saved me. we sing the words louder. i worry that i'm off-key but if i am you don't seem to care. these are moments we'll never get back, moments i feel like a thief for having. it's not wrong, but is it? we're having to hide pieces of ourselves to steal these moments together. our parents taught us not to do this. but your pull is stronger than the moon's tide. and that's when i fall, swallowed by your wave.