colors of your stinging kiss

the moments after the highs fade are always the worst. they say the highest highs are always followed by the lowest lows, but i never took it seriously until you left and suddenly there was no one to stop me from going over. did i cross my limit? probably, but what's it matter to you? you're gone. you didn't care enough to stay, what will it matter when i fade to black? a moth to a flame? honey, i'm an addict searching for my old fix. you. but i can't find you anywhere. you knew exactly when to disappear. you always were the best at playing games i never seemed to win. you'd tell me you were staying for real and then you'd leave again. i wanted everything with you. here i am, driving through abandoned parking lots late at night under a blood moon, trying to forget the taste of your kiss. i dial your number and hang up before your phone rings. i'd call, but i have nothing to tell you. what's there to say to someone you love who stole the very breath from your lungs? who loved you so hard it hurt, who bent you 'til you broke. was i a feeling, a moment, a vision of color so bright it stung your eyes? or was i just a grey blur, an echo of your lovers before me? i'm crying tears i drown in; we lived out a story that was written with an unhappy ending. you are the best secret i never kept. lives like ours are always too planned out. the script is written years in advance. i guess no one considered that you'd be a part of mine. i guess i never considered it either, until you were gone.