Chapter 17

The summer passed too quickly for everyone. It was fun though. Kurt ended up going to California with Blaine and the rest of the time they all hung out together and with family. Rachel and Finn even bonded. A lot. They became very close.

It was the day Kurt and Rachel were leaving for New York. Blaine came over to say goodbye that morning.
Him and Kurt sat in the living room to talk. Burt, Carole, and Finn all stood in the kitchen, eavesdropping.

"So what are you thinking?" Kurt asked.

"This is gonna be hard."

"Yeah."

"I just feel like it'll be a lot."

"But we can do it."

"I don't know."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I already have one relationship where I rarely see them and I don't want another."

"I can't help it. Do you not want me to go?"

"I do."

"So what? Why are you being like this?"

"Because I don't know if I can do it. Mentally. You know I have anxiety and I feel like having this relationship is just going to make it worse."

"Do you wanna break up?"

"No."

"Okay, so then—"

"—but maybe we should." Kurt started to tear up at his comment.

"You think we should?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." He wiped his face and stood up.

"I love you Kurt."

"Just go. Please."

"Just listen."

"No. Go. Please." He nodded and walked into the kitchen, pausing to look at everyone obviously listening. After a second, he kept going forwards. Burt walked into the living room after a moment and saw Kurt's back but he was obviously wiping his eyes.

"Kurt. You okay?" He turned and stormed upstairs, ignoring his dad. Carole and Finn looked at each other, feeling horrible for him.

***

They all left Kurt alone until it was almost time to leave. He was all packed so it didn't matter if he just chilled until then. The door opened and Finn walked in.

"Hey!" Finn said in a cheery voice. He saw Kurt was hugging a tear stained pillow. "I won't stay friends with him."

"No. I don't want you to stop being friends. That's exactly what I didn't want out of our relationship. You can stay friends. It's not his fault it's too much for him."

"Okay."

"Is it time to go?"

"Yeah."

"Now I gotta go see Elena."

"Why?"

"She wants to say bye before I leave."

"Aww, cute. She loves you."

"Mhm. I'm like their main babysitter now. Or was. Now I'm leaving." Finn nodded in response, not knowing what to say. "Anyways, let's go."

"Kay." They went downstairs and Kurt was still holding onto the pillow. Burt grabbed it and put it on the couch before they got in the car. They all put his things in there while he was upstairs so he didn't have to.

"We don't need to stop by Ross' if you don't want to."

"It's okay." He nodded and drove, silent until getting there. They walked to the door and knocked. Elena opened the door and everyone looked at him.

"Woah..." Ross said. Burt shook his head. "You look rough."

"I'm fine."

"Are you okay?" Elena asked.

"Yeah. Just don't wanna leave all my friends."

"Oh."

"Is Blaine gonna come visit?" Ross asked. Burt shook his head violently at him as Kurt started to break into tears again.

"Ross. Look what you did!" Lina said, standing up.

"I- I'm sorry."

"It's fine. We broke up. I don't wanna talk about it."

"I didn't know. I'm really sorry!"

"You couldn't have known." Elena gave Kurt a hug, feeling bad for him. Lina brought a box of tissues to him, letting him take a few before leaving. They got Rachel and headed to the airport. They flew and Kurt got looks by his appearance. Sweats, also tear stained sleeves on his shirt, messy hair, and red eyes. The plane ride was silent. Rachel found out what happened by a message from Finn. She knew for now that all she could do was stay quiet and let him have some time to think through things. Then she'd start her break up intervention with ice cream, movies, and tissues before moving on to distracting him by a night out in the town. He'd be over Blaine in no time.