Chapter 1 - Got it Boss

"Now you know I can't let you take that."

The thief whips their head back around, to see you leaning against the archway at the entrance of the exhibit.

They're holding the priceless jewel in their hand, the very thing you came to stop anyone from taking. You'd gotten word that multiple people were planning on stealing a priceless tiffany necklace from the met, and it looks like your source was correct.

"So put it back, before someone gets hurt."

"Now why would I do that?" the low-pitched voice spits back, sprinting around the corner.

"Great," you mutter, running after them begrudgingly. Knowing there's only one way out from the area of the exhibit you're in, you turn the opposite way.

You cut them off at the nearest exit, whacking your arm into their neck. Usually people would think that kicking a man in the balls is what will hurt the most, but a good hit to the base of the trachea can be fatal with the right execution.

The man wheezes on the ground, and you snatch the necklace back out of his hand. Stomping on his chest to keep him down, you carefully put it into the pocket in your jacket.

You can hear the tapping of shoes coming in the entrance, which must have been one of the other thieves said to be here tonight.

You'll return the necklace tomorrow, it'll be safer in your hands for the night. If you leave it here, it'll just get snatched up by the next crook. You make your way out through the back entrance quietly, tossing up your hood as you go out into the cold.

About halfway through your journey back through Central Park towards Hell's Kitchen, you feel like you're being watched. It's a sense you had to develop when you were a widow.

Shaking a tail isn't something you've ever found difficult, but it's much more complicated when the one chasing you down has strong senses of their own.

Unbeknownst to you, the devil of Hell's Kitchen has been trying to catch you for the last month, mainly because of the common misconception a lot of people in New York share. That you're some sort of bandit, but in reality you're the one helping the police.       

Even though you've lived here for the past couple of years since the Red Room was taken down, it's only recently that you've been- back to what you're used to.

Just as he finally catches up to you, your footsteps suddenly disappear. He tries to identify your heartbeat, but its undetectable.

You've led him to a busy food truck, hiding yourself amongst the small group of people. Now that you've stopped walking, you look around, spotting a masked man in black in the distance.

Of course, you think to yourself, remembering all the headlines you've read about the so-called 'vigilante' in your time living here. Unfortunately for him though, he won't be catching you tonight.

"Damn it," Matt grumbles, the hooded burglar slipping through his fingers once again. He's baffled by how easily you seem to get away from him, it's the third time this week. 

He's recently been trying to take down Kingpin, otherwise known as Wilson Fisk, but he's gotten distracted by the mystery thief who's been at each crime one of Fisk's men had been at.

At first, he thought you were working for Fisk, but based on the state the people who should have been your coworkers were in, he knows that can't be true. It has to be for personal gain.

Hailing a cab, you head back to your apartment, taking a longer route than necessary to ensure you lost the masked man.

Climbing up the fire escape to your apartment on the fifth floor, you head inside, still not tired.