Chapter 22 - A Broken Promise

You glance at your phone on your desk, still no word from Jessica since she called yesterday. You've texted her a few times since then but to no avail. The office is silent, everyone else left about half an hour ago.

Finally finishing up on work, you decide to stop at Jessica's before going to Matt's as promised. It's only a short walk there, but from the moment you arrive, you detect that something's off.

As you approach her building, You feel a crunch under your heel and notice shattered glass scattered across the pavement. Looking up, you see that a window's been smashed. And from the looks of it, it's Jessica's.

"Weird," you mumble, stepping over it and walking up to the buzzer. After pressing it a few times, you get tired of waiting for her to let you in and go around the side to use the fire escape instead.

After eventually getting into her building through the rooftop, you head down to her apartment. As you walk down the hall, you see that the glass on her door is also busted. Which is particularly odd, since she just had it replaced.

"Jess, you home?" you call out as you push open the door. It's freezing, probably due to the broken window behind her desk. Her apartment's been trashed, her desk knocked over, all sorts of files and photos strewn across the floor, and the door to her bedroom is hanging on by only one of its hinges.

Suddenly, your gut practically flips, Jessica's not here, but someone else was. And you just walked straight into their trap. No weapon, no fancy armour, you're screwed if it's who you think it is.

You dash into her kitchen, searching for any kind of utensil you can use as a weapon. Kitchen knife in hand, you stand directly next to the door against the wall, for a small advantage.

Footsteps, that are so light that usually, you wouldn't pick up on them, but so numerous they're hard to ignore. You hear the light click of a gun, perfect. It is who you think it is, the assassins from Finland, but what do they want with Jessica? Using her to get to you is the obvious answer, but there has to be more to it than that.

"один, два, три," one of them whispers, before bursting into the room. You reach out for their arm the second they enter, disarming them in a second, and kicking them in the head to knock them out. 

Now standing in the doorway, you glance down the hall to see no more than ten agents, all armed. But for agents of their calibre, five is more than enough. You quickly step out of view, bullets flying past you, oddly not aiming for your head. If they wanted to kill you, and they could, surely a headshot would be best.

They need you alive, like last time, you're worth something to them. Because of her abilities, Jessica will probably be fine too, albeit possibly brainwashed. "You want me, come and get me," you yell, sprinting and hopping out the broken window.

Sliding down the wall of the building, you propel yourself off it, flipping and landing on the ground. "Shit," you mutter, not sure of where to go. You take a right, and then another, down a small alleyway next to her building. 

Running down the alley, you come across a fire escape, which you scale about halfway before you feel a bullet graze your left shoulder. Not having enough time to get to the roof, you break in a window, diving into a random apartment for cover. Lucky for you, no one's home. 

You sprint through it, taking $50 out of your wallet and tossing it onto their counter as you run out. Deciding the stairs are a safer bet than the elevator, you quickly locate them, running up to the top floor to get back out.

When you get to the top, the door is kicked in by another agent, who jumps down half a flight towards you, dagger in hand. She flips the knife, swinging it at your head, which you step back from, backing into the wall. 

You kick her away from you, creating some space between you. You land a solid punch to her head, which she counters with one to your sternum. You get winded for a second, and she uses this time to stab you in the leg, so deep into your quad it almost hits the bone. 

She pulls the knife back out and you seize her hand, lifting and twisting it to turn her around, getting her into a chokehold. You hold on, waiting for her to pass out.

You let her fall to the ground, and take her gun, about to leave when something on her wrist catches your eye. Not the same by any means, but some form of a widow's bite bracelet.

She shouldn't have that, no one should have that technology outside of the black widows.

You suddenly hear a door thud at the bottom of the stairwell and realise you've backed yourself into a corner.

Getting into a scuffle with another agent that comes down from the top door, you have to use her as a shield from being tased by the one advancing from below. 

You fire a knife down the steps at her, striking her in the shoulder and causing her to stumble back into the wall. Jumping down, you pull it back out and knock her out with a kick to the temple.

The last four all come in from the bottom, one shooting some kind of dart at you. A tranquilliser most likely, or at least you hope, as you run down and jam it into one of their necks. She collapses to the ground instantly, leaving you and the three others.

One of them lands a kick to your stomach, sending you down another half flight of stairs straight into the wall, shoulder-first. It feels limp, and you can tell it's dislocated.

You lift it using your other arm and lodge it back into place, and shoot two of the agents, one in each of their knees, one in each dominant hand.

The last agent leaps down to you, blade in hand, slashing you across your stomach, then your hipbone. You fall to the ground, pulling her down with you by her leg, and forcefully slamming her head onto the concrete, knocking her unconscious.

You reach into your pocket for your phone, taking it out, before realising it had died. "Great," you grunt as you stand up, using the wall for balance. Matt's place isn't far, you just hope you can make it there.

~~~~~

Matt hates to admit it, but you guys were right, after about an hour, he was able to convince the client to take the plea deal.

When he arrived home, he had half-expected you to have broken in and been waiting inside after what you said earlier. But then again, you had so much to do when he left, so he assumed you were still at the office working.

He hears your footsteps outside his door and gets up from the sofa to open it. "Good, you're home," you say drowsily, falling through the doorway, Matt barely catching you. "Jesus Y/n, what the hell happened?"

"Using God's name in vain? Not very Catholic of you," you reply, as he carries you over to his couch. "Why did you come here, you need to go to the hospital-"

"It was closer. Besides, I'll be fine, I just need some rest," you begin before your voice trails off completely. "Hey, Y/n, stay with me," Matt says urgently, gently tapping the side of your face to try to keep you awake. 

His heart is pounding, not to mention the sweat gathering on his forehead, being on the other side of this for once is awful. He watches helplessly as you drift out of consciousness, before quickly taking his phone out of his pocket.

"Hey, I really need your help."