Chapter 10 - Dreams Vs Reality

"Matt."

The voice calls out to him again, he recognises it as yours instantly, leading him down the same alleyway as last time. 

Your voice is different though, panicked, scared. It's not just you calling him, it's a cry for help.

"Where are you?" he yells, as you scream again, "Matt." 

Following the sound of your voice, he finally finds you."You had me worried for a second," he says softly. After a few seconds of you not replying to him, Matt realises you've been stabbed in the chest.

"How did this happen, who did this to you?" he shouts as you collapse onto him. Cradling you in his arms on the ground, he hears you take one last breath before you sigh out, "You did this, Matt. You did."

Matt realises he's holding something in his right hand, a knife.

"You did this Matt. You did." Your words echo in his mind, repeating over and over again. 

Waking up in a cold sweat, Matt breathes out in relief that it was just a dream. That's the second nightmare he's had with you in it, but this one was even more terrifying than the last, because he had hurt you.

You had fallen asleep on the couch last night, so Matt carried you to his bed and slept on the couch himself. 

He gets up quietly, walking into his bedroom to check on you. He sits down on the bed next to you, sound asleep.

Although he contemplates waking you up, he decides against it. You seemed at peace for once, something he senses is rare for you.

He leaves you there and goes back to the kitchen, brewing coffee for the two of you.

You wake up a few minutes later anyway, the alarm on your phone going off so loudly it probably woke up half of the building. "I got it," Matt turns off the alarm, before getting back to the stove.

Sitting at the foot of the bed as you put your shoes on, you can see Matt cooking in the kitchen.

Last night, was a lot, to say the least. You're still struggling to wrap your head around the fact that he's Daredevil, but also how long it took you to figure it out.

Realising you have to go to work, you remember you most likely have mascara under your eyes. "Do you have any mirrors here?"

"Not much use for them," he replies, and you go to the bathroom, hoping that you get most of it off.

You head over to him, and god it's awkward between the two of you. Matt is acting very stand-offish, his nightmare had rattled him more than he'd like to admit. 

You assume it's due to you kissing him, which you really regret doing. Not because you don't want to do it again, but because you're worried he doesn't.

Maybe he wasn't attracted to you at all and he's just a flirtatious person, maybe all the signals you picked up on had never even existed.

You're prone to doing this, overthinking. But who could blame you? Neither of you have spoken to each other this morning bar a few sentences.

"I'm sorry for-" "I wanted to tell you-" You both speak simultaneously. Matt cracks a smile for a second, "You go first."

"Sorry for kissing you last night, I was in a bad place. Shit, I still am, but yeah. Sorry about that."

Matt's heart sinks, because your heart was steady. He knows you're able to lie to him, but in the moment, he seems to forget that possibility.

The thing is, he was about to say that he has genuine feelings for you. But now it appears to him that they aren't requited. How very wrong he was.