Chapter 7 - Old Friends, New Enemies

"Thanks Dolores," you call out to your landlady, who walks away grumpily after having to unlock your door for you. You can't blame her, it is the second time you've done this.

 As you open the door into the dark room, you hear clattering inside.

Flicking on the light switch, you notice your previously locked window is now wide open.

"Walter, why the hell didn't you bark?" you immediately turn to your dog, who appears to be completely unbothered, laying on your couch as usual.

Peering out the window, you don't see anything or anyone, but you know there's only a few people it could have been.

If you're being honest, you don't care, it's been a long day. You've had to cover for Matt, a lot recently, and you're getting quite tired of it.

You've visited his apartment a few times during the day to see if he was home, but every time he was gone.

"Let's go for a walk bud, come on," you pat your leg and Walter leaps excitedly off of the couch, as you fetch his leash and lock your window shut again.

~~~~~~~

"I'm in the middle of something right now, what's up?"

"I was wondering if you were free for breakfast tomorrow," Yelena inquires, "I have someone I'd like you to meet," she adds enthusiastically.

"Might have to push it to lunch, I think I've got a bit of a long night ahead of me," you reply in a hushed voice, hiding behind a door in the Russian's warehouse.

"I was hoping you'd say that, me and my buddy do too. I'll text you an address," she says swiftly, hanging up the phone. "Weird," you mumble, but in fairness, it's not that odd for Yelena to do.

Tracking down Matt has proven to be harder than you anticipated, so you've moved onto something else for now. 

You're still curious about what happened the other night, the news said it was typical gang violence, but something tells you that the gangs involved are anything but typical.

~~~~~~~

"So that's your thing then, big guns."

"Do you have a problem with that?" Frank questions, his tone as coarse as ever as he loads the rifle.

"No- well, it's just so predictable. But it suits you, you know, big macho guy," Yelena rambles, Frank staring at her scornfully until she stops.

"Geez, I was just trying to lighten the mood," she mutters, finishing the plait she was doing in her hair.

"Don't bother," Frank says bluntly, "Let's just get this over with."

~~~~~~~

Matt thought it was about time he had a one on one conversation with Vladimir, about what went down with the Yakuza. 

"That's none of your business," Vladimir responds to Matt coldly from behind his desk.

"Do I need to remind you that I just got past your entire security?"

"Like I said, none of your business," Vlad reiterates, unintimidated by the man in front of him.

Matt stretches his neck before leaping across the table and whacking Vlad in the side repeatedly with his baton.