Chapter 13 - Tough Break

"I'm done for the night, you two can keep playing though," you put your cards down, Karen's chances increasing hugely as now she only has to beat Foggy.

"I don't usually hear from you unless you need my help with something," you answer the phone, taking the call into the kitchen.

"Doesn't look like that's changing then," Jess replies detachedly.

"As long as it's nothing worse than last time," you shrug, hearing her sigh on the other end of the line. "It's not, right Jones?"

"Not yet- or that I know of. Are you free tomorrow?" she asks, her concern evident from her voice.

"I can be," you glance over at Karen, Matt and Foggy. Karen and Foggy are still playing poker obliviously, but from Matt's expression, he's anything but unsuspecting.

"You'll have to actually be on time, Jones, and sober."

"When am I not?" she says sarcastically, before ending the call and you stroll back over to the couch.

"We should call it a night, it's late. But I want a rematch," Karen points at Foggy, as she picks up her coat.

"Don't be a sore loser Karen. I'm clearly just the best at poker, you're going to have to accept that," Foggy boasts, following Karen out.

He refuses to let either of you walk home alone, although it's probably her who's protecting him with that pistol she keeps in her handbag. "You coming Y/n?"

"I have to ask Matt something about a case, you guys can head off without me."

Matt waits for them to leave before asking about the call, "What was that all about?" His tone is rather sharp, which you hadn't anticipated.

"I assumed you heard that. It's just an old friend who needs a favour, you wouldn't mind if I left work a bit early tomorrow would you?"

"These 'old friends' of yours haven't turned out to be the most trustworthy people," Matt huffs.

"They are for the things that matter, I promise Jess is-"

"An unstable, alcoholic stalker?"

"So you've met her then," you reply casually, Matt's expression growing even more disapproving. "I get why you're concerned, but at this stage you should know I can handle myself."

"Sure you can, but so can she. We are talking about the same Jess who jumps off buildings and walks away without a scratch, right?"

"Well, not like a skyscraper, but yeah I think so."

"You have really poor taste in friends," he shakes his head, but you can tell he's easing up more on the idea of you helping her. "You got me there," you shrug.

"I've been meaning to ask, what is the deal with you and that assassin friend of yours?" he questions, changing the topic rather abruptly.

"I was in the Red Room with her, it was actually her and her sister who got me out of there-" you pause, unsure of whether or not to tell him the next part.

"We got close, went on a lot of missions together. I sort of, uh, let's just say I had feelings that weren't reciprocated."

"That's tough," Matt says sympathetically, as you lean forward and pick up your glass from earlier.

"You have a way with words Murdock," you joke dryly, and take a swig, "It's fine, we're still friends and we probably wouldn't have worked anyway."

You check the time on your phone, Karen was right, it is late. "I better go, long day tomorrow and all."

"If you stay for another drink, you can skip work," he blurts out, hoping it's not too obvious an excuse to get you to stay.

"That doesn't seem fair, you didn't show up for a whole week and I didn't make you have a drink with me to do it." 

He lets out a slight chuckle. "I just want you around for a little while longer," he states boldly, taking you, and himself, by surprise, "Is that so bad?"

"I suppose not," you agree, noticing the small smirk on his face growing as you accept his offer.

He starts to fill your glass up again, as well as his own. "There's something I don't understand yet."

"About me? I feel like there isn't much left to tell you," you reply as he hands you the glass, your fingers brushing off of his ever so slightly as he passes it to you.

He sits down on the couch, and you seat yourself on the opposite end, "How do you heal so fast? Because you clearly don't meditate."

"You don't know that," you say defensively, Matt obviously not buying it. "Alright, you know Captain America? Sorry, of course you do. Anyway, I was given some kind of modified version of the serum he got when I was a widow."

Matt's face drops, only a bit though, "Not the pity again, Murdock. You know I hate that."

"What, so I'm not allowed to show any emotions now?"

"Precisely," you quip, taking a sip of the whiskey before placing it down on the coffee table. "My turn, you still having those nightmares?"

"Not even going to ask something a little less personal first?" he replies, taken aback by your bluntness.

"Thought you could handle it, but I'll back off if you can't," you say challengingly, knowing it's one of the only ways to get him to open up.

"I haven't had one in a while, I think telling you about them actually helped."

"I am a very helpful person," you remark. "Seriously though, that's great Matt." Before even realising you'd done it, you place a hand on his thigh comfortingly.

"Shit, sorry," you quickly pull away, feeling your entire body heat up out of embarrassment.

"Don't worry about it," he says softly, putting you at ease. "Thanks for the drink, but I should really get going now-"

"It's barely been a minute," he interrupts you, grasping your hand, which you retract from swiftly.

"You- You are so aggravating," You spring off the sofa and stride across the room.

"What, did I do something?" he stands up, walking towards you. "No, but you-"  

He gently grabs you by the shoulders, putting an end to your pacing around. "Stop it Matt."

"Stop what? What am I doing wrong, just tell me," he tilts your head towards him, causing your eyes to immediately flicker towards his lips as he speaks.

"I-" you contemplate saying what's really on your mind, and for a moment, kissing him. He waits expectantly for your answer, as you internally struggle to decide what to do.

"I have to go," you utter, brushing his hands off your shoulders and hurrying to the door.

As you open it, he tosses your handbag towards you, which you catch without turning around. "Thanks."

You close the door behind you, resting against it for a moment before heading off. It's probably getting easier and easier for Matt to read you, you have to get your emotions in check.

You've haven't had these problems before, because as far as you're aware, no one you have ever been interested in had heightened senses. Overall, it makes it much harder for you to hide your feelings.

It's fine, you'll just have to go back to your initial plan, don't stay alone in a room with him for too long.