Chapter 23 - Trust Your Gut

After a while of fading in and out of consciousness, you awaken fully at the feeling of a needle going through the skin of your thigh. Except it's not Matt doing the stitching. It's a rather gorgeous woman, who looks stressed out of her mind, and reasonably so. "How is she awake right now, she's probably lost over three pints of blood."

"She heals quick," Matt replies, placing a hand on your arm as you look up at him. "Yeah, no shit."

"What's going on-" you mutter, attempting to sit up, but you're immediately guided back down by Matt and Claire. "So how exactly does she just get that much blood back within an hour."

"She's got this serum-"

"Like Luke?" Claire asks, continuing the stitches on your thigh. "More like Jessica, not as strong, but faster, more durable."

"I'm right here you know?" you interject, trying to sit up again, but not even making it up past your elbows before Matt had you back down on the pillow. "God, can't you just rest for a second?"

"No, not really," you scoff, pushing his arm off of you and sitting up straight anyway, which you slightly regret when you feel an aching pain in your abdomen. 

"As you said, Jessica's not as durable, so if I'm this beat up, I don't even want to know what state is she in. We have to go find her."

"Slow down for a second there, what happened to Jessica?" Matt questions, Claire seeming equally concerned. "I went to her place because I was worried, she wasn't answering any of my texts or calls. The place was trashed, and I got attacked."

"By who," Matt asks, his tone protective and severe. "The same people from Finland, Jessica was the first person who called me when we got out of there, which I guess must have put a target on her back." 

Claire looks at you, baffled, your body doesn't even flinch when she pushes the needle through your skin. "You seriously messed up your shoulder, you'll be lucky if you didn't tear anything, not to mention everything else."

Matt leaves the two of you alone, as Claire continues patching you up. "I know what you're thinking," she says with a smirk, and you look up at her in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Even if you wanted to go look for her right now, you'd probably pass out before even getting to the door."

"Hey, give me ten minutes, I think I could make it down the hall," you joke, and she laughs lightly.

"Matt wouldn't tell me anything about you," Claire states, gently piercing your skin again with the needle. "But, I'm gonna make an educated guess that you two share a similar hobby," she says knowingly.

"More than one, I'm his and Foggy's paralegal. You know Foggy?"

"I've had the pleasure," she smiles, finishing up the stitches and putting a bandage over the wound. "I'm worried this will get infected, the cut is really deep."

"If it does, the serum will kill it off," you respond, wincing uncomfortably as you try to sit up straighter. "Sorry, I never got your name."

"Claire, nice to meet you," she says, and you smile back at her. "That makes sense, you must be his nurse friend. I'm Y/n, nice to meet you too."

"I'm surprised he's mentioned me," she scoffs light-heartedly, and you take a closer look at her. She's stunning, Matt's got game. "I'm surprised too, he didn't mention how beautiful you are."

"Thanks, but flattery won't get you out of bed rest." She leans forward, placing a paper stitch on a cut across your upper arm. 

"Worth a shot," you remark. "I have to go in a bit because I have a shift in," she pauses as she checks her watch, "-right now, shit. Ok, you two will have to manage from here."