Chapter 18 - Couldn't Stay Away

"Alexei?" you call out, stepping forward and almost tripping over an unconscious, hopefully not dead, body.

Suddenly, the lights flick back on, the person standing next to the switch definitely not who you were expecting to see. 

"Matt, what are- You know what, never mind. Let's just get Yelena."

"I told you to call me if things got dangerous," Matt says vexedly, as you run over to him, astounded by the sheer amount of people on the ground. 

"And I told you I'd shoot you if you followed me, so don't test me. Where is she?" He tilts his head as he concentrates, before swiftly turning down a hallway. He stops outside a large metal door, pointing at it, more specifically the locks on it. You shoot them all off, as he kicks in the door.

The two of you burst in, a few doctors hovering over Yelena, scalpels in hand. Without even thinking, you shoot them all directly in the chest, and they instantly collapse to the ground.

"Y/n," Matt says gruffly, as you make your way over to the table, undoing the tight straps securing her to it. "Not right now," you whip your head towards him, and back to her. "Are you okay?" you ask, as she sits up before hopping down.

"Peachy," she smiles sarcastically, ripping the IV out of her arm. She stumbles forward, and you catch her. "Did you find Natasha?"

"Melina got her out already, now let's go," Matt responds, you almost forgot about that. The three of you head out of the room, you supporting Yelena as Matt walks out in front, seemingly attempting to figure the safest way out. "And how the hell do you know Melina?"

"You left me alone in your apartment with all your stuff, it didn't take that much digging," he quips back. "I'm sensing some tension here," Yelena says mockingly, and you roll your eyes. 

"Real mature, Y/n," Matt remarks, and you scoff, "Oh come on, how could you possibly have-"

A bullet skims past your head, and you quickly push Yelena behind yourself. Unfortunately, there's people on both ends of the hall, you're trapped. "I'll take the left," Matt calls out, as you act fast turning back around. 

"Stay back, Lena," you instruct her, knowing she's still too drowsy to fight. You reload your gun, shooting down the incoming agents on your side before running out of bullets again.

Casting the now useless gun to the side, you approach one of them quickly. She's vicious, her fighting style reminding you a lot of your own. She swipes at you with a knife, and you swiftly grab her arm, bending it inwards and twisting it. 

She stamps on your knee, causing you to fall to the ground. Your hand still on her arm, you flip her over you, hearing a satisfying thud as she hits the floor. You slide across the floor, wrapping your legs around her throat and choking her while snatching the blade from her hand.

You toss the knife at the last agent on your side, one of the very few men you've come across, to your surprise. It plunges straight into his stomach, and he falls backwards onto the ground.

The woman you're choking finally passes out, and you stride over to the man to retrieve the knife. "All clear over here, for now," you shout, raising your voice for Yelena's sake. You return to her, seeing Matt punching in the face of a clearly unconscious man. 

"I think you got him," Yelena calls out to him, as Matt drops the man to the ground. "Just wanted to be sure, through here," he replies, opening a door to another set of stairs. You help Yelena up, and push open the exit door at the top, leading out to a road, no longer in Helsinki.

"Where the fuck are we?" you look around the countryside, as a huge van races towards you. As it gets closer, you get a better view at who's behind the wheel, Alexei.

"Get in," Melina shouts, the back doors flinging open for the three of you to hop in. You help Yelena in first, before getting in yourself, quickly followed by Matt. Melina slams the doors shut, as Alexei drives away.

"Woohoo, look at us go. Good job everyone, go team," Alexei shouts from the front seat as the three of you practically collapse into the seats lining the side of the van.

"How's she doing?" you ask Melina, gesturing towards Nat, who's either passed out or sleeping. "She'll be alright, what about her?"

"I'm fine, just a bit high," Yelena replies, before turning to you, "Wow, you got me a pillow." Her head flopping down on top of you, and you begin, "Lena, I'm not a-" before noticing she's already asleep. She should probably get some rest anyway.

"It was her, wasn't it?" Matt says monotonously, leaning back against his headrest and closing his eyes. You furrow your brows for a moment, not catching his drift, before realising. He's connected the dots, that she's the one you told him you were in love with.

"It was," you respond briefly, looking down at her, and back at him. "And that's the reason you killed those people about to operate on her?"

"It is," you nod, and Melina gets up from her seat opposite you. "What was that Alexei?" she calls out, both you and Matt knowing full well that he didn't call her, and you certainly don't blame her. "And I don't regret it, I would do it for you, Foggy, Karen-"

"But I wouldn't want you to kill someone for me Y/n, it goes against-"

"Everything you stand for, the justice system, I get it Matt," you lean your head against your headrest, turning towards him. "But I don't care, not when it comes to the people I care about."

"You can't just make exceptions when it's convenient for you Y/n, because then when does it end," his words become more slurred, before his head falls against your shoulder. 

Great, he's probably bleeding out. That's what happens when you expect a polyester top to protect you from knives. You gently move Yelena's head onto Natasha's lap instead, and stand up from your seat.

You spot a gash on Matt's stomach which is much larger than the superficial ones you can get to later. "Melina, where's the-"

"The bag behind you," Melina responds, and you reach back for it, pulling it forward and getting to work on the wound.

~~~~~~~

"I guess this is where we say goodbye," you say to Natasha and Yelena, as you and Matt get out of the van, back in Helsinki after a couple of hours. You bring the bag, packed with supplies to patch yourselves back up, your passports, and some cash, to get home.

"Thanks again, to you and your-" Nat pauses, her eyes flicking between you and Matt, giving you a suggestive look. "Friend," Yelena smirks at the two of you, Matt smiling friendlily at the sisters.

"Try not get kidnapped again," you say, closing the doors of the van, and they drive off. "Theres no flights until the morning, we're staying here for the night."

"Are you still in love with her?" Matt asks as you walk down the street with him towards a hotel. 

"No, that was years ago. Now-" you stop yourself, just about catching your words. You can't believe you were really about to say that. "Now you're what?" Matt asks, almost obliviously.

"Now, I'm trying to find somewhere for us to stay, so can we cut the small talk."