Chapter 6 - Hypocrisy is a Disease

"Hello? Matt? Are you even listening to me?" you let go of his hand, as a look of confusion washes over his face.

"Yeah, I'm listening," he responds, before taking a sip of his beer and running one of his hands through his hair.

"So will you please stop whatever it is you're doing that's getting you hurt?" you ask, unaware that he's figured out who you are.

He's tempted to scoff at how ironic what you're asking of him is, but holds back before replying, "I'll try."

Matt's torn, whether to confront you or not. But in doing so, he realises he would be revealing his own identity too.

"Anyway, it's late and we should probably both get some sleep," you hop back down off the counter.

"I'll take the couch," Matt offers.

"Such a gentleman, good night Murdock," you call out obliviously from the opposite side of the flat and sliding his bedroom door shut.

Meanwhile, Matt is unable to silence the thoughts rushing through his head. How did he not notice this from the start? 

That's why he could never pick up when you were lying, why you had expert-level aim when playing darts, and why you were so insistent that you could defend yourself.

What doesn't add up though, is that if you were stealing from all those exhibits, why would you work as a paralegal?

He sets the bottle down on the coffee table before laying down on the couch. Although he didn't fall asleep quite as quickly as you, eventually he drifts off.

"Matt."

A voice calls out to Matt, leading him down a hallway to a doorway. Matt opens the door, stepping out onto the street where he fought you.

"I love you so much Matt," the voice echoes through the cold alleyway, a hand reaching up and cupping his face. Your hand.

"I love you too," Matt responds tenderly, pulling you into a kiss.

He feels a sharp pain in his abdomen, and realises he's been stabbed, by you. You pull the knife back out, laughing in his face.

"Oh come on, what did you expect?"

"Matt? Matt wake up," you kneel next to him, shaking him awake. He looks like he's having some sort of nightmare.

Suddenly, he sits up, breathing heavily and wiping the sweat from his forehead.

"Let me get you something to drink," you stand up, walking to his kitchen and filling a glass up. with water.

You set the glass down on the coffee table in front of him, but instead he picks up his unfinished beer from last night. "I know it's probably none of my business-"

"You're right, it is," he says coldly, getting up from the couch and brushing past you to his room.

You decide to let it go, knowing what nightmares can be like. He clearly doesn't want to talk now, so you'll wait until later.

You quickly throw on your coat and exclaim, "I'm going to head home, I'll see you at work."

~~~~~~~

Taking Walter for a quick walk before work, your mind keeps wandering back to Matt. Ever since you first met him it's seemed like he's hiding something, but now his entire attitude towards you has changed.