Chapter 26 ~ A Quick Debrief

You knock on the door when you and Matt finally get to Frank's place. "Who else did you call by the w -" Matt whispers until the door creaks open.

Frank blocks your view of the rest of the room, making sure it's only the two of you before opening it fully.

You hadn't seen him since you, well, since you killed someone and got knocked out cold in the process.

"Was wondering when you were gonna get here. How's your head?"

"Haven't had any complaints," you joke, which you realise was in poor taste. You cough it off and cross your arms. "Everyone here yet?" Matt interjects, and Frank nods.

"Everyone but her crazy ass girlfriend," Frank replies, and although you don't have heightened senses, it wouldn't take having them to know Matt's blood was boiling from the comment.

"She's not my, ahem. Anyway, we don't have time for introductions. Nat, did you get the quinjet?"

"How'd you think I got here?" she says smartly, gesturing for everyone to follow her. Not wasting any time, she makes her way out past you and Matt, leading everyone to the roof.

"Did you leave it on a different rooftop or something?" says a tall, burly man. You recognise him from the news, Luke Cage. He has made quite a name for himself as the bulletproof hero of Harlem.

"Nope," Natasha responds with a smirk before deactivating the cloaking tech.

"Not too shabby," remarks a masked woman. Her eyes are still visible above the red scarf, which you find to be a strange choice, considering the eyes and brows are the most identifiable part of the face.

You glance at Matt, unintentionally switching into investigative mode. You notice his nostrils flaring and the corner of his mouth twitching. You soon figure out what caused him to grimace. Matt's an expressive person, and though he is trying his level best to mask his feelings, he's not fooling you.

"You must be Elektra," you say matter-of-factly, and she turns to you as you walk alongside her up the ramp. "I didn't realise I had fans," she replies with a smirk. 

Matt exhales deeply through his nose and can't restrain himself from interjecting. "She'd have to be as psycho as you to be your fan, Elektra."

He said her name with such disdain he made it sound like an insult to be called. "Well, if she's your friend, she can't be far from it," Elektra retorts, so you decide to intervene before an argument ensues.

"Okay, listen. We don't all need to be best buds, but can we try to be civil?" you ask, but it feels as though your words went in one ear and out the other.

"Matt, you might want to remember that I'm the one doing you a favour here," Elektra says snidely. You can tell Matt wants to snap back at her, but you pinch his arm, and he bites his tongue. For now.

Once everyone is onboard, you speak up. "Alright, some of you may not know me. But that doesn't matter because you know Jessica. And if we can't work together, the next time I'll see all of you will be at her funeral, or one of our own."

"Bleak," Elektra whispers, and Frank huffs, "You can say that again."

"It's bleak, but it's true. I need everyone on their A-game. We don't want to kill anyone, because most will be under mind control. There will probably be - Yelena?"

"Who's Yelena?" Luke asks before everyone notices the two walking up the ramp.

"Sorry I'm late, I brought back up," she announces as she walks up, accompanied by the famed Winter Soldier and another woman with a similar-looking bionic arm. "Bucky? What the hell are you doing here," Nat says, flashing him a scornful look.