Chapter 15 - Enough is Enough

You hear your window sliding open, and you turn your head to the side unsurprised to see the one and only daredevil. "I can explain-"

"I don't want to listen to your excuse," you utter spitefully, Walter growling at him from beside you.

"Then what was the point of making me to come here?" he asks, pulling the mask off his face.

"So I could tell you to mind your own damn business Murdock. You have no right to follow me around like that," you berate him, "I don't care if you were worried, or whatever the fuck you want to chalk it up to."

"Jessica is unpredictable, I just wanted to make sure you were safe-"

"Oh come on, you know full well she isn't that unhinged." You get up from the sofa, walking over to him. "And I've been friends with her way before I met you," you add. 

"I was out of line, I know."

"Way out of line Murdock, seriously, you had no right," you say firmly, Matt running his fingers through his hair. "I get it Y/n, I'm sorry."

"That's all you've got to say? You're sorry?" you scoff, briefly shaking your head. "What do you want me to say?" he replies. "I-" you say in a raised voice, before stopping and calming yourself.

"I don't know," you mumble, more to yourself than in response to him. "I think you should go," you tell him with your arms folded.

"I know you're more than capable of protecting yourself, I don't know what came over me," he blurts out, pausing for a moment, "I really am sorry."

He turns back to the window, and you try to refrain from speaking again but can't manage to prevent yourself from saying, "Okay, stop just- don't do it again. Ever."

"Does this mean you forgive me?" he turns back around, as you step to the side of him to close the window. "I haven't decided yet," you respond, although from your tone he can probably tell that you basically have. 

"But since you were listening the whole time, do you have any ideas?" 

"I wish I did," Matt sighs, following you as you head into your kitchen. "How are you feeling about it all?" he inquires, and there's a softer tone to his voice as he does.

"It's tough, it is." You aren't usually this constantly reminded of what you went through at such a young age, but this case is just scarily similar.

"I can only imagine," he says sympathetically, leaning back on the counter. "You want anything?" you offer. "No thanks."

You feel your eyes welling up slightly as you turn around to brew yourself a coffee. It was something Jess had said today, how they probably won't even remember their parents.

You had always wondered what yours were like, if they were nice, if you were a happy family.

"Everything alright?" Matt walks up beside you, you forgot for a second how much he notices. You turn to look at him, and attempt to swallow the lump in your throat.

"What do you think?" you reply, your voice shaking slightly. "Hey, hey, hey, come here," he wraps both arms around you, and you reciprocate the embrace almost immediately. "It's okay-"

"No, no, stop," you shake your head, pushing him off you. "You have to leave," you say assuredly, quickly recomposing yourself.

"Why do I have to leave?" Matt asks directly, and instead of answering you walk past him to the door. "Just go."

"Y/n, why are you doing this?" he follows you, as you unlock the door, facing away from him.

"Why do you keep trying to push me away?" he inquires, as you lean against the door. "Matt, please."

"Tell me you're not, and be honest this time," he demands, and you turn back around. You do contemplate lying for a moment, but you don't even think you can lie to him anymore. "Damn it."

Pacing back across the room, Matt grabs your upper arm stopping you. "Talk to me."

You glance up at him, "I don't want to, I- God, I hate being around you."

He furrows his brows, his voice becoming more faint as he drops your arm, "What?"

"You make me, weak," you utter disdainfully, "I didn't cry, not until you showed up, and now I've almost done it twice."

"Crying is not a weakness Y/n," he affirms. "Then why do I feel so helpless?"

"You're meant to, otherwise you'll never get past it. Trust me, I know a thing or two about keeping things in, and I can guarantee you it doesn't work."

You stare at him in silence for a few moments, before you let out a sigh. "I don't like it when you're right Murdock."

"I thought you'd be used to it by now," his lip quirks into a half-smile, and you roll your eyes feigning annoyance.

You spend the next half hour, maybe even longer, just talking on the couch. Walter seems to ease up on Matt after a while, to the point where you're not sure who he likes more.

After noticing how late it had gotten, the two of you eventually get up, and you walk with him towards the door.

"You ever wonder what it would've been like? Growing up in a normal family," you ask curiously.

"I used to, but then I wouldn't have become who I am today. The whole reason I became a lawyer was because of my dad dying, you know?"

"And you never would have learned all those super cool moves," you poke his arm, as he cracks a small smile. "Still, if you could, would you change it all?"

"I don't know what I would do, but I'm happy with the way things turned out," he shrugs, stepping closer to you. "And why is that?"

"Cause I met you."

You feel your heart flutter in your chest, momentarily thinking you were going into cardiac arrest. "Can't say I blame you," you say jokingly, hoping to divert his attention from it.

"Can I ask you something?" he says smoothly, leaning down closer to you. "Sure," you respond as casually as possible.

"Why is your heart racing right now?" he whispers, his lips brushing off the side of your ear ever so slightly. "You know why."

"I want to hear you say it," he says in a way which is somehow both arrogant and considerate. "I have a better idea," you reply, turning your head to the side causing the tip of your nose to graze off his. "What's that?"

"Kiss me," you say boldly, Matt's hand reaching up to cup your face. "Are you sure?"

"Do it Matthew." Without hesitation, he presses his lips to yours softly, and you match the slow rhythm. That gentleness doesn't last long though, the two of you quickly becoming more desperate for one another.

He pulls you closer to him, as you wrap your arms around his neck. His other hand travels from your jaw down to your hip, slightly sliding under the waistband of your sweatpants. You've wanted him for so long, it seemed to completely slip your mind that you were trying to do the opposite of this.

"Matt," you pull away from him, "We shouldn't do this," you say breathlessly, still yearning to keep going.

"You're right, it's not a good idea," he agrees, as you gaze at him longingly.

"We're friends, I don't want to mess that up." You're unsure who you're trying to convince, him or yourself.

"Neither do I," he nods, both of you standing in silence for a moment. "You have to go," you order him, for what feels like the hundredth time tonight, knowing something will happen if he stays any longer.

Matt turns around and heading to the door. You face away, the only confirmation that he left being the sound of the door closing.