Chapter 17 - Damsel in Distress

"I'm not so sure this is the place." You stare up at the tall building, it's too central to the city, way too public. Definitely not the kind of place you'd keep an assassin like Nat.

"Hiding in plain sight?" Yelena suggests, and you shake your head. "Still too risky, I have a bad feeling about this. It's probably a trap," you reply, as Yelena shoots her grappling hook to the rooftop.

"It might be, but It's all we've got. I'll see you soon," Yelena says, before starting to scale the building. You activate your comms earpiece, hopping on top of the bin in front of you and lasering a hole into the bathroom window.

You climb in cautiously, gun at the ready as you drop into the room. The lights are all off, triggering you to turn on the night-vision setting in your goggles.

Making your way to the door, you open it to find a long hallway lined with doors on either side. You open each of them slowly, inspecting each room, all of them empty. You find a flight of stairs, and make your way up, only coming across an identical floor.

 It's quiet, too quiet. Something definitely isn't right. "I think we should get out of here," you say over comms, waiting for her to respond. "Lena, do you copy? Yelena?"

"Shit." You knew it was likely to be an ambush, but you didn't think they'd get Yelena that fast. You hurry up to the next floor, it's a completely different layout to the last one. Open plan, it must be some sort of office. There's someone here, you can just feel it.

That's when the first bullet is fired, hitting your suit right in the chest. Except it's not a bullet, it's a dart. Yelena wasn't wearing a mask, they must have gotten her in the neck with one.

The person who fired it takes cover quickly, and you don't spot where they went. You turn on the heat sensors in your goggles, there's a lot of agents, too many. You know when you're outnumbered, and this unfortunately is one of those times.

You drop your gun, putting your hands up, you won't be able to beat them without killing anyone, which you certainly don't want to do again.

Soon enough, someone grabs your hands, tying them behind your back. At least this way, you can find out where they actually took Nat, and Yelena too.

Another person pulls down your mask, it's a woman, and from the size of the hands on your wrists, you gather that they both are. As more agents come from their hiding spots, you realise they're all women, and dressed in very similar attire to you.

"We've got both of them," the woman in front of you says in a monotone voice, before injecting something into your neck.

~~~~~~~

"Wake up sleepyhead." A man pats the side of your face, and you jolt awake. You rapidly glance around the room, Nat sitting opposite you, passed out, but there's no sign of Yelena.

"If you're wondering where your gal pal is, she's not here." You recognise the voice, it's the man from the phone. "But you'll be seeing her again soon."

"What did you do to her?" you ask stolidly, looking over at Natasha. He turns to her, and then back to you. "Don't worry your pretty little head about that-"

There's a buzzing sound, and he takes his phone out of the inside of his suit jacket. The relaxed expression on his face immediately switches to one of annoyance, "I'll be right back, sit tight."

He walks out of the room, a clicking sound his shoes make echoing through the room until the door shuts. The room is dark on your side, but Nat's face is lit up, probably by a window behind you.

"Hey Nat," you whisper, before having to raise your voice more, "Nat." Her head moves slightly, she's conscious, barely. You call out her name a few more times, before she eventually looks up at you. "We're going to get you out of here."

"I told you," she murmurs, already having to take another breath before continuing, "-it was a trap. You should have listened."

"We were never going to leave you here, you know that. I need you to stay awake for me, can you do that?" you inquire, they've tied you to the chair with some sort of metal chain, you were hoping it would be rope. You're still in your suit though, thankfully.

"They have Yelena, and could be doing anything to her right now. I'll ask you again, can you stay awake?" you repeat yourself, more sternly this time, and she nods. 

Just as you're about to flip yourself forward in your chair to break it, you hear glass shattering behind you. Someone broke in the window, there's a sound of footsteps landing in the room. You can't hear them approach though, and from Nat's face, she clearly knows them.

"A little birdie told me you were in trouble," a familiar warm voice says, and you sigh in relief. "Melina, how did you find us?"

"That doesn't matter right now, let's just get you girls out of here," she replies, taking the chains off your wrists and ankles. You get up, getting a slight head-rush as you stand, and steadying yourself with the chair. "Do you know where they took Yelena?"

"We already got her, why do you think that idiot left in the first place?" Melina chuckles, helping Natasha up. She's lying, you usually can't tell when she is, but this time it was almost too obvious. Nat doesn't seem to notice, but to be fair, she's barely even conscious.

"It's been a while, good to see you," Nat mumbles, and Melina gives her a gentle pat on the back. "No time for chit chat, come on."

Melina leads Nat to the window, letting her out first before climbing through it herself. "Hurry up."

"Yelena's here somewhere, isn't she?" you stare her down, and from her reaction, you're right. "You know I can't leave her here."

She throws you a gun, as well as some extra ammo. "He'll probably need some help anyway, good luck." Alexei must be here too, so Yelena stands a good chance of getting out already. Now you just have to find her. 

The door has some sort of complicated lock on it, which you decide to just shoot off. You realise this may not have been the wisest choice, a gunshot going off is sure to alert them that you've escaped, but there's no time to dwell on it.

It's a bright hallway, fluorescent lights, they're likely disguising this place as some sort of health facility. People start to rush towards you, but you shoot them down before they even come near you, leaving only one standing. 

"Bring me to Yelena, or end up like them," you order, and she obliges, leading you down the hall as you steadily aim your gun at her.

She opens the door at the end, revealing a stairwell. "Thanks," you smile condescendingly, shooting her in the kneecap as you push her out of the way.

You sprint down the stairs, and considering you were just on the ground floor, it must be a basement. You push open the door, the lights are all turned off. There's people fighting already, you hear gunfire which is quickly followed by yelps of pain. And then, silence.