19 - Weed Wanderings

Nathan

I'm awestruck at the size of the frat house. It's teeming with people, promising of a great party.

"Meet at the entrance by 1 am and don't get lost wandering around. Keep your cellphones on!" Aaron says.

Ryan's cousin welcomes us. He's a tall, lanky guy with dreadlocks and several tattoos. Red solo cups are thrust into our hands as soon as we enter. There's a smoke machine somewhere because the air is already hazy.

"Who's ready to partayyy!" Bella shouts. The drunk crowd on the makeshift dance floor cheers. She and Max get lost in it.

I stick with Raven and Kaiden. We do a couple of shots in the huge ass kitchen and a comfortable buzz sets in.

"This is crazy! They're having a pool out back, come let's go!" Daniel says, appearing from the throng of people.

The party's even crazier outside.

Dan disappears into the crowd near the poolside bar and comes back with three fruity looking drinks, balancing them awkwardly.

"These are lethal! Have fun!" he laughs, downing the entire thing.

"Max said to not get too drunk!" Aaron says quickly. "You have a game tomorrow evening!"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Dan grumbles and walks off.

Aaron continues ranting about something but I'm not paying attention. My eyes keep wandering to Kaiden. He looks exquisite in all black, with Doc Martens and a silver chain in his neck. The skinny distressed jeans make his legs look even longer.

"Penny for your thoughts? You're looking at me like you want to kill me," he laughs, handing me another of the punch things.

"Not kill you, definitely," I laugh.

Maybe... kiss you? Fuck, I'm going mad. I shouldn't be thinking these thoughts.

"You haven't been drinking. Scared of Max?" He taunts, running his tongue on his lip.

"I am drinking, just don't tell him!" I roll my eyes, trying to not fixate on his mouth.

"Fine, you goody two shoes!" He laughs and walks off with Raven, leaving me alone.

A couple more drinks later, I'm wasted and the world seems like a better place. A random girl pulls me to the dance floor.

Time to forget about everything!

*****

I keep missing the target. Miserably.

"Nathan we're playing darts! At least try to focus!" A girl called Penelope giggles, equally as drunk.

"It's darts to you, but I call it freestyle acupuncture!" I laugh.

I feel extremely good. I have lost track of how many drinks I had, Max is going to whoop my ass. The crowd is super chill and I can't remember how many girl's and guy's phone numbers I have in my pockets, sloppily written on tissue papers.

I'm gonna forget them anyway.

I haven't seen Kai in a while. I wonder where he is but I'm too drunk to look for him.

"You're sloshed, man come on, let's try a safer game!" Aaron says, pulling me away from the darts. I pout, making puppy eyes at him.

"You were going to take someone's eye out if you had kept at it!"

"I'm gonna go get a drink of water!"

"Yeah you should. Don't let Max see you, he will end you!"

The music is pounding in my chest, making me dizzy. I need air.