49 - Love and the London Eye

Nathan

Last summer, I was on the brink of depression. I was kicked out from school, my parents had divorced and my dad had left me with my abusive mother. My then boyfriend's father had threatened me to leave his precious son's life if I wanted my own intact.

Not an ideal setting for a lost 17 year old prone to anxiety.

If you had told me back then, that the summer camp I took as an escape from my shitty life, would lead me to my salvation, I would have told you to quit the weed.

But it did. The summer I wanted to die, was the same summer that taught me how to live and love - In the form of this one white boy I never expected to meet or fall for.

I'm not saying a relationship is the cure to a shitty life.

I'm not saying that he magically solved all my problems or got rid of my anxiety or the unpredictable panic attacks or the insecurities, but to an extent, he did. By just being there for me.

He didn't expect anything, my Kaiden. He was stubborn and the rich kid who always got what he wanted. I don't know what possessed him to want me. I still don't.

He just adamantly helped me, even when I pushed him away. At first I thought it was pity but then he didn't completely smother me. He only helped in little ways, like a friend would. When I found out he liked me, I freaked out.

What if he expected sexual favours in return? was my first thought. Eventually I let him in and found out that Kaiden was an angel sent to me, just for me. That is one thing I don't doubt.

Kaiden bettered me in so many ways.

He annoyed me initially but he made me realise that I am so much more than the life I was given. I had no fight left in me, I was determined to get through the year alone and friendless.

Until Kai taught me what friendship meant and rekindled my past friendships too, ones I had pushed away because I was hurting.

The difference a year with the right company can make is phenomenal and I consider myself living proof.

Granted some things were pure luck - like my dad deciding to mend his ways and moving back to our hometown, or Kaiden's dad changing his mind about us.

But even then, I am a better person now. I have learnt to give people a chance, I have learnt it is okay to be vulnerable at times and that anxiety is a part of life. It would always get me down but that I can always bounce back, that relationships fail but they can be mended with some space and some effort.

My summer love changed me through and through and for that I am infinitely grateful. And I'm right here, with the love of my life - my Kai-Pie, who taught me the meaning of that word.

Unconditional love.

I watch him run to me, holding giant candy floss, one purple and one pink. He sits beside me on the bench, facing the river Thames.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asks, feeding me a piece of the sugary goodness.

"Just thinking about you."

"Really? What? How handsome I am?" he chuckles.

I press a kiss to the side of his head.

"Definitely that. And also how utterly adorable you look carrying the cotton puffs."