47 - Sushi Shenanigans

Kaiden

The atmosphere at my home remained amicable till the end of the Thanksgiving holidays. Dad's sisters kept him happy and my Mum's only brother's kids kept me and Kane distracted too.

When they left, it felt like the house had suddenly lost its life. Mum went back to her clinic hours and Kane is working from home for the next month until New Year's. I have one last day to spend at home.

Me and Kane are playing CoD with the volume on full blast, curses flying and eventually I lose. He's a wizard at video games.

"You're still a loser hm?" he teases, chucking a pillow at my face.

I flip him off, rolling my eyes.

"You wanna go out for dinner? My treat, let's go have some of the fancy sushi you like."

My mouth waters and I nod immediately.

"Invite Nathan too. I wanna know the guy."

I pause, looking up from my phone. A warmth spreads in my chest at his thoughtful expression.

"Really? Are you sure you're not just gonna badmouth him to dad for some brownie points?"

Kane genuinely looks offended and I raise my hands up quickly.

"I'm insulted you even thought that way. Is that what you think of me?" He huffs, crossing his arms.

"I'm sorry! It.. it was supposed to be funny. I'm actually still not over the fact that you stood up against Dad for me. I mean, we didn't exactly have the best relationship when you were here. You bullied me and pretended I didn't exist half the time."

He sighs, ruffling my hair.

"I'm sorry about that, Kai."

He fidgets a bit before sitting up straight.

"I'm trying to make it up to you. Staying that far away and seeing you grow up so beautifully made me realise a lot of things I did weren't exactly ideal. So I'm trying to improve on myself and well, give people a chance."

"Who are you and where is Kane?" I snicker, earning a glare. "Are you in love or something?"

"Eh I don't have time for a relationship, I barely have time to sleep there. I think there are girls interested in me but I don't know... I haven't really thought of seriously being with someone, not until I sort my career mess. But look at you though, you're already in love! How's that feel?"

My face grows hotter instantly and I fix my eyes on the floor.

"It's... a beautiful feeling."

"Aww, you're all blushy and mushy!" he pokes my side and I squirm.

"Stop right there!"

"Come on, I gotta tease you about this! I have the birthright. I totally didn't expect you to date a guy though, that was the biggest surprise ever."

"I'm bisexual. I did date a girl after you left for London and it ended awfully bad. I met Nathan after that breakup and he is just what I need."

"Does he play videogames?"

"Of course and he could easily annihilate you!"

"Call him over, let's test that out right now!"

"Dad's here."

"Don't tell me you haven't sneaked him in once in your five months of dating him? Seriously Kaiden, what's the use of having such a huge house if you can't manage to sneak your boyfriend!"