Chapter One

Change is something no one is ready for. Whether it's a change of room, goal, environment. It's still something different that's happening. You might try to plan it, and prepare yourself for that change, but it's never what you expect.

After sixteen years of light, darkness was soon bound to follow him. It took his court, his father, his mother, his home. Everything he has known and loved. He hated darkness. Despised it to the roots of his bones and blood from his veins. Unlucky for him, the darkness that ruined his life, wasn't an "it". It was a person.

Someone who smiled at the darkness as if it was a well aged wine. They controlled it, owned it. The High Lord of the Night. Rhysand.

The name bitter to his thoughts that he would rather burn out his tongue than speak it or even think about it.

He remembers the day everything changed.

It was like any other, The sky was the same periwinkle color, the birds chirped loudly as the morning sun came to shine over the Spring Court, The grass flowed with the wind, the sound of servants working through the Castle, He didn't think today would ruin his life.

Everything seemed so peaceful, so bright, he should have known something was wrong.

Today, the house was filled with talk. Happiness seemed to flow through the air as some intoxicating perfume. Red rose petals scattered on the floor as Lotus watched his mother walk down the aisle.

He smiled brightly as his Mother caught his eye. Using his power, a small dandelion crown wove into her hair, trying to bring some beauty into the dress Father had chosen for her.

He thought she looked ridiculous but his Mother managed to make the ugliest gown look much better if she was the one wearing it.

She smiled at him.

But he didn't notice.

He should have, but he didn't.

He missed the sadness that lingered there, the panic in her eyes, how pale her skin looked, how skinny she's gotten.

Only when she stood a few feet from his Father, only when thunder roared loudly in a clear sky, when a Male of tattoos and shadows appeared before them, fixing the cuff of his jacket to only then disappear... with his Mother.

Even now, when Lotus looked back onto the memory, hatred burned in him.

And that was over three years ago.

Three years since his mother left Spring for Night.

Yet, despite his hatred for them, he saw how happy they made his Mother. She was lighter. She smiled more, she was stronger, She wore a crown.

People loved and feared her. She got powerful.

Lotus couldn't be more proud of her.

For three years, the more his Mother was in the darkness, the brighter she shone like a single star, burning with light and heat.

However, he knew he was breaking her heart.

His Mother loved him- he knew that. But, he could see how much it hurt her to see the two males she held most hate each other.

More so him than the other.

His Mother's mate tried, Lotus could see that. The male has offered a home, a family, everything he could ever want to him. The male loved him, treated him as though he was one of his own children.

Lotus is an ass to him.

He didn't want whatever shit load the Male had offered. Every little gift, every little compliment, soft touch, anything.

Even if the High lord made his mother happy, made her strong and loved her almost as strongly as he loved her- Lotus wished the Male away.

But then... something happened.

And never before had Lotus felt such heartbreak.

All the wishing, the praying, the hoping, suddenly- for a few moments, The Male went away.

And Lotus cried.

Screaming desperately for him back.

Because if this Male died, who would Lotus hate. Who could he blame for his mistakes- his faults.

Sometimes, it's better to treat someone like shit than to admit to them that you love them.

Even when the Male came back, life shining in his eyes, flowing with every breath he took, Lotus hated him.

Today, the sky was dark, miles and miles- layers of layers of stars glowed upon them. The wind softly blowing against him and the cloth in his arms. The Moon sang to him that night, helping Lotus sleep the bundle that laid on his chest.

Lotus Hated Rhysand, yet thanked him deeply for the blessing he had given him and his Mother.

A son.

A Brother.

A Friend.

He closed his eyes, letting the Darkness take over him once more.