Chapter Fifteen

Lotus tried to keep quiet, to silence the cough that burned his throat and dripped out with blood. To keep his vision from blurring and his legs standing. However when he blinked, he was in a seat outside in Elain's garden. With a woman sipping tea across from him.

The gentle warmth of the sun bathed them, and the trees swayed gently in the breeze. It was a serene scene, a feeling he hadn't experienced in quite some time, or perhaps it was something he had once known but couldn't be sure of its reality.

Gazing down at his cup, he couldn't help but notice his own reflection—dark, weary eyes, and skin so pallid it seemed unhealthy. He had lost weight, and with each passing moment, it felt as though he was slowly withering away

He pushed the cup away.

The woman tilted her head, "What's wrong, Don't like the tea?"

"I'm not in the current mood for it."

She blinked, "Maybe you already had it and simply don't want a second round."

He glared at her.

They stayed like that for a moment, not breathing a word. He preferred it that way, he wasn't wanting to speak with someone that only seemed to exist in his head. Sadly, she had other ideas.

"You seem troubled," she said, "Any thoughts you want to share?"

"I'm surprised you don't know yet,"

"Should I?"

"You're in my head. Shouldn't you know?"

She smiled and sipped the last of her tea.

"You make it sound as if that's all I am, just something made up in your mind."

"Isn't that just what you are?"

"Maybe, do you doubt my existence?"

Lotus glared at her, "Yes."

She smiled again, adding oil to a starting flame. Crossing her arms, she laid back against the chair and raised her chin. "Simply because I'm in your head, doesn't mean I'm not real."

"Doesn't it mean exactly that?"

She didn't answer. Simply leaned in closer; her fingers delicately brushing a strand of hair away from his face. Her touch was cool, sending a soothing sensation through him.

As his vision blurred once more, he noticed a subtle transformation. Her once auburn hair now took on a brown hue, and her eyes shifted from their original indigo to a soft, sky-blue. Tears welled up in her eyes, but she bravely tried to offer a smile, even as emotions swirled within her.

"My darling Lotus,"

He blinked at her.

And then he wasn't in the garden anymore. He was in his room.

Again he blinked, and his body was laid down, his Mother looming over him with her mate at her side. His own Father at the other corner of the bed, staring at him, but there was something in his gaze. Something broken and hopeless.

"Mother?"

She shushed him, smoothing his hair back and cooling his head with a wet rag.

He blinked again and they were gone.

He sat up, rubbing his head in frustration. Hearing voices of people around him, people were there and weren't. Something that already happened, happening again.

Lotus felt anger gripping his neck, he forced his way out of the bed, clutching at the wall for stability and determination flooding through him.

He was so tired of this. Of being weak and useless.